Australian 2010 election

This election looks interesting.
We have the leaders of the 2 main parties who have never led their parties to an election before.
Also there are many electorates where there are first timers standing.

One of these is Dawson in central Qld.
This area stretches from south of Mackay north to parts of Townsville.
It is a marginal (2.6%) seat held by Labor's James Bidgood who won the seat in 2007 but is retiring.

The Liberal National Party's candidate is George Christensen, a Mackay City councillor.
The candidate for the ALP is Mike Brunker, the current mayor of the Whitsunday Shire and the Greens have Jonathon Dykyj who is employed by the Mackay Regional Council.

Although Labor's Bidgood won with a swing of 16% in 2007, the redistribution has taken in the Liberal voting Townsville suburb of Annandale which has lowered Labor's margin.
The Greens only got a bit over 4% last time and I can't see a big improvement for them now.
This is one electorate both major parties will be targeting.

162 comments

You are a realist matey.........I still love to dance and I bet you do too..

I love rock and roll and yes s.t.i.l.l.

I cringe when I see Julia and Tony kissing and holding other people's babies.

Why on earth do they do this at election time?

It beats me still, why we seniors are many in numbers and could be such

a force to be reckoned with but we seem hopless at getting our

act together or doing anything enmass....Oh well we get what we gets

and serves us right I suppose.

Have a great Saturday.

I see that Julia and Tony have suddenly remembered we Seniors and the promises are starting to pop up. I remember my days in "Compliance" when looking at new legislation and how to comply with the ever changing rules and regulations. When "Truth in advertising" laws were introduced, politicians and political parties were made exempt. They gave themselves the right to lie to us.

So, in my humble opinion, election promises are only as good as the people who made them (politicians). I would rather buy raffle tickets in the Harbour Bridge than rely on these "last minute" grabs for votes.

Phyl and all you jitterbugs out there, thanks for ruining all that

romantic dancing we used to have, now, you dont need someone

of the opposite sex to dance with, on your own will do, or even

if they dance with someone it looks as if their on their own,

it's not dancing it's jumping up and down.

Gone are the days when you could chat up a girl in the barn dance.

nostalgic seth.

Like you, I get sick of pollies kissing babies, and running with school

children, acting like a big kid, down with them all, let's have a party.

Do these pollies think they maybe passing on germs to these babies,if I had a baby I wouldn't want them kissing my baby.

When the deeming rate went down I gained very little, but when it went up I lost a bigger

amount

if Labor gets into government I would gain something , because my husband sat for exams to become permanent and was able to pay into superannuation, so I can still draw on this until the day I die, but I still have to pay tax,the federal government is a law unto itself

jessej

Ohh stop wingeing Jessej if you are getting enough money to pay tax

you are far far better off than 96% that have to live on the pension.

I bet you are getting all the concessions pensioners receive.

Most of us would love to be getting enough extra money to pay tax.

So I guess at least one of your husbands had money. ;-)

but I still have to pay tax

jessej

Everyone of us has to pay tax jesse

Everyone of us has to pay tax jesse

I think you find jessej is referring to Income Tax fwed.

no Zapot he had no money, but payed into comsuper ,he paid tax when it went in, and tax when it came out ,and I still pay income tax,and I ain't got no money, out of luck Zapot

jessej

I see on the breakfast TV shows this morning (Sydney) a recent poll revealed that 20% of voters polled expressed their disenchantment with the major parties. They indicated that they would vote for minor parties or independents.

I wonder if a significant backlash like this would even register on the radar of the arrogant "hollow men" of the Libs/Labour? ......I doubt it. All they consider is the election result.

I've decided to put the Greens last so I'll have to number every square, I'm lazy and usually vote above the line.

I’ve decided to put the Greens last so I’ll have to number every square, I’m lazy and usually vote above the line.

Ive numbered every square for quite sometime. Its my right to vote so why would I let any candidate say where my preferences go? Problem is 9 out of 10 people wouldn't have a bloody clue about preferential voting.

When I scrutineered during a previous State election I felt for the poor sod who had to check there weren't any numbers missed in a field of around 70.

An interesting article today by bogger Jeff Corbett about the Greens.

Greens policies don't matter much, or at all, when we don't have to bear the consequences of them, but that is likely to change after the approaching federal election. The Gillard Government's preference deal with the Greens has made it very likely that the Greens will, in effect, share government with Labor if Gillard gets up. If the Libs triumph the Greens are likely still to have the balance of power in the senate, an unfortunate glitch in our parliamentary system whereby a handful of people have veto over the government. In fact, the Greens could have even more power as the balance of power than as a member of a shared government, or at least perceived as being in shared government, because they need have no regard at all for the ramifications of their implemented policies.

[i]Require Australian companies operating overseas to comply with Australian environmental standards. That will be interesting for Australian firms in China.

Oppose the establishment of new coalmines and the expansion of existing mines. There'll be a great deal of sympathy for opposing the establishment or expansion of some coalmines, but all coalmines! With the Greens guarantee of a nuclear-free Australia, life with a half-hour-a-day ration of electricity will be exciting.

Ensure that energy price subsidies are not used to attract or retain energy-intensive industries. It's true that all Australians subsidise the electricity use of many industries, but will we be better off without an aluminium industry and its jobs?

Ban Tasers. Should coppers go back to shooting crims to protect themselves?

And forbid police using racial descriptions. Police seeking public help in identifying a dangerous criminal will be able to tell us height, perhaps skin colour, physique but not the fact that he is Asian. Very sensible.

Introduce an equitable retirement income system that effectively and adequately provides women with financial independence when they retire. Motherhood stuff, but what about men who don't have financial independence when they retire? Does this mean that women will get a bigger pension than men?

Support the granting of political asylum on humanitarian grounds to people persecuted in their own countries on the basis of their sexuality or gender identity. Gay Australia.

Abolish all TAFE and university fees for Australians and forgive HECS debts. A blunt and irresponsible bid for the young vote.

End the ANZUS treaty unless Australia's membership can be revised in a manner which is consistent with Australia's international and human rights obligations. Immediately close Australia's ports and territorial waters to nuclear-powered or nuclear-armed vessels. Will we look to New Zealand or Indonesia instead of the US for superpower back-up if ever we need it?

Ensure asylum seekers are fully informed of their rights on arrival and given immediate access to legal assistance. Restore asylum seekers' legal right to challenge decisions that affect them in the courts. And the Greens will be ensuring not only that a final decision never be made, that all asylum seekers can stay here indefinitely, but that we will keep the world amused as we pay non-Australians to tie us in knots.

Life will certainly be more entertaining when the Greens hold the power, but will it be better?

http://www.theherald.com.au/blogs/jeff-corbett/greens-in-government/1906591.aspx[/i]

Bennelong has a very high, upwardly mobile Asian population. Maxine McKew beat John Howard in 2007, can she do it again? The online bookmakers, Centrebet, believe her prospects of holding the seat have fallen dramatically in the past few days. On Saturday, she was a $1.58 bet to win, with her rival John Alexander on $2.38. But yesterday, both were locked at $1.88 on the betting - with the momentum shifting to Alexander.

So how did she get the nomination in the first place?

Maxine McKew positioned herself outside Kevin Rudd's office door. Parliament was sitting, and she knew that the only chance of getting Rudd's ear was to lie in wait and walk beside him down the corridor. He came out at a trot and the two of them raced down the hall. "I've got an idea and I've talked about it with Tim Gartrell, Bob Hogg and Mark Arbib. If you are willing to back me, I'm prepared to run in Bennelong," Saville's book reveals.

Having got the support of Sussex Street, McKew only needed the nod from Rudd to get ALP pre-selection for Bennelong. She moved into the electorate, buying a house seven months before the election. The Sussex Street machine then swung into action. Saville's book details a race-based strategy that Labor deployed in Bennelong to unseat Howard. She describes encountering "a crack team of Chinese and Korean-speaking 20-somethings sent in by ALP head office".

Three years later, McKew's campaign is covered with Asian ethnic wallpaper. On her website, we learn that her last speech in parliament, on May 27, began: "I rise today to promote the cause of Asian language education..."

Her previous speech in parliament, on May 13, began: "I would like today to pay a special tribute to hardworking community champions in the Korean community in Sydney."

Last Saturday, Kevin Rudd arrived to campaign in Bennelong. He and McKew visited a Chinese gathering, then had a Yum Cha lunch with local Chinese community leaders. Only local Chinese-language media were invited to report on the event.

The previous week, another press release announced: "This morning I met with around 100 members of the Eastwood Senior Citizens Club at Eastwood Railway Station." Actually, it was the Eastwood Chinese Senior Citizens Club.

That same week, McKew trotted out the great Labor fabrication of 2010 when she claimed in a press release, "As Health Minister, Tony Abbott cut $1 billion out of public hospitals – enough to pay for 1,000 hospital beds."

This has been repeated hundreds of times via every Labor politician even though it isn't true. The Howard government transferred $1 billion from one part of its health budget to another. It never cut $1 billion out of public hospital spending.

Next Saturday everyone will be watching Bennelong closely - one of the most interesting seats in the election.

Who else, after seeing Joe Hocky and Andrew Robb announce their

rubbery costings thought by their body language, they wished they

were somewhere else,,never looked sincere and didn't seem to know

what they were talking about.

who are these people who did the costing ? wouldn't be liberal would they?

FirstPrev89101112NextLast(page 11/12)
162 comments

To make a comment, please register or login

Preview your comment