Melbourne's 367 Collins Street falcons 2022

Birdwatchers have awoken to discover two peregrine falcon eggs have hatched, after the first cracks were reported yesterday morning 29 September 2022.

The chicks' biological father has been ousted by a new male who has only recently started showing paternal instincts. The original male, known as Dive-bomb Dad, still has not been seen despite the arrival of his chicks. Victorian Peregrine Project founder Victor Hurley said, "He's now gone from the scene, being chased off or killed by the new male, who hasn't produced any of these eggs with her."

New Live Video Link 12 November 2022.

12345NextLast(page 1/5)
60 comments

Mum returned with food.

Wow!! There are 3 bundles of joy getting fed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on3V22m60uQ

May be an image of bird, outdoors and text

Wow ... wonderful pics Suze, thank you.

Thanks for putting up the thread RnR...I almost forgot it is that time of year for the falcons.  Apparently though all is not well:

"An intruder is threatening Melbourne’s beloved pair of falcons and their future offspring perched on a Collins Street office building, with a looming fight set to determine the raptor king of the CBD.

Dr Victor Hurley, the founder of the Victorian Peregrine Project, said a second male is lurking near the current couple, disrupting egg incubation and jeopardising this year’s brood as it tries to kill the resident male and take its place.

This year, he says, the regular female falcon did not return when the birds arrived in late August, and volunteers began noticing “odd behaviour” from the resident male at the start of September as it stopped resting on its eggs and wouldn’t provide food to the mother.

The female is left with all the incubation duties, and it appears possibly having to get her own food. I think what’s happening is every time her male brings her food, the intruder intercepts him and steals it off him or forces him to drop it.”

The Age

Thanks for info Sophie ... much appreciated.

Home alone when I just looked in.

It is interesting that mum waited until a shade was provided before she left.

New male on ledge, female on nest.

New male taking lessons - great pix RnR

4th egg  pipped at 13:53.10 AEST on Sunday Oct 2nd 2022.

And hatched 8:57:57 am this morning, mum ate the shell.

The male is keeping watch

and now is providing shelter from the sun.

Great pics, many thanks Suze.

Difference between male and female

May be an image of text that says '"Lumpy" or muscular Sleek Female (Larger than the male) Male White Heavy marking'

All quiet when I just looked in ...

It looks as wet as it is here.

This morning at 8.16 am

Look how quickly they grow

Anybody hear or see Foxy ???

Great shots Suze, thank you.

Haven't seen Foxy for nearly a year now. Nor PlanB or Celia for quite a while.

Very few of the "old" posters left now, sigh.

guess no one's rescued her yet from that iceberg in the antarctic,  lol

Humanity exists: Fishing couple save starving Arctic fox stranded on iceberg 

Hi RnR - I keep in touch with Celia and she said she would rather not be with YLC anymore

because of  some nasty things certain people have said to her. I will miss her as she had a 

great input in to the site.  Miss Foxy and PlanB as well.

Hi Hola ... so glad to hear you and Celia are in touch. Like you, I miss her posts.

Please pass on my very best wishes to her and her beloved hubby ... with hugs.

Hi  RnR - I have passed on your message to Celia and she said to say "thank you".

Thanks Hola, much appreciated.

All quiet on the Falcon's front when I just looked in.

Growing so quickly ...

12345NextLast(page 1/5)
60 comments

To make a comment, please register or login

Preview your comment