Election May 18 2019

pr 2019

Prime Minister calls federal election
PM calls an election, but is his party ready to tackle an uphill battle?

A knock on the Governor General’s door at the crack of dawn, a quick conversation with Sir Peter Cosgrove and Prime Minister Scott Morrison emerges to announce a federal election.

So, Australians will go to the polls on 18 May after Mr Morrison dissolved the 46th Parliament.

He formally announced the election date in the forecourt of Parliament House at 8.30am.

Is his party ready for the uphill battle many are predicting?

The Liberals are behind Labor in the latest Newspoll, but believe that by limiting expected losses in Victoria and targeting on-the-fence voters in NSW and Tasmania, they may still have a shot at winning.

It’s a big ask. Labor needs just seven seats to form a government.

Based on current numbers, Labor may pick up around 10 seats – more than enough to claim a majority in the House of Representatives.

However, ALP strategists aren’t expecting the landslide some have predicted.

The hot tip was that the PM would call the election last Sunday. Labor claims the Government put off that announcement so it could legally use taxpayer funds to pay for advertising policies.

Labor may be on to something. Mr Morrison has landed the first electioneering punch with his first taxpayer-funded Liberal Party election advertisement, My vision for Australia, released last night.

He has called on Australians to look forward a decade, rather than focusing on the present.

“The real question is, what country do you want to live in for the next 10 years?” Mr Morrison says in the advertisement.

“It has taken us 12 years to get the budget back on track. You change the Government, you change the course of the country, and it takes a long time to get it back on track.”

The message from Opposition Leader Bill Shorten is blunt and to the point.

“Six years of instability, six years, three prime ministers. Time’s up,” he said.

Both parties seem to be focused on the economy, as well as pushing tax cuts and spending on healthcare and infrastructure. But as we’ve already reported, older Australians are largely being ignored. Almost four in 10 respondents to our Friday Flash Poll: Who do you trust? say they feel ignored by both parties, but concede that healthcare is the one area that may sway their vote.

Read more at The New Daily

Which policies would you like to see each party take to the Federal Election? Tell us in the comments below.

https://www.yourlifechoices.com.au/news/pm-calls-federal-election?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Volume%2019%20Issue%2090%20Daily%20eNews%20Thursday%2011%20April&utm_content=Volume%2019%20Issue%2090%20Daily%20eNews%20Thursday%2011%20April+Version+A+CID_40f4166af7cef612f8b1040039542789&utm_source=campaign%20monitor&utm_term=latest%20Federal%20Election%202019

43 comments

Time for a change

Image result for vote Labor

Ay yi yi yi yi yi yi 

Good luck.  I think you guys will need it.

That may be true Suze, who knows she may even be bucking for sainthood?

I'm not denigrating her or women in general, but who in the hell is she?

What is her experience? What has she done for/in the community?

What is she employed as? etc etc etc The list is very long

I repeat We DONT KNOW. All this info has in the past been put in our letter box

Surely you are not suggesting I follow sheep-like and vote for the party, and elect a person possibly unsuitable

Well Tanwin it seems you got an experienced one

my only memory of this Rishworth woman is her sitting behind Shorten continually "nodding her head" in Question Time.

Quote Hoohoo "The Libs need to start preselecting moderates & routing out these old, white, neanderthal males. The Libs should seek to find a vision beyond self-interest."

Totally agree. Some of them are so rusted on, they creak when they move. We need more women in politics too.

Why not have a separate women's legislature as Shorten is agreeing to for indigenous?  Then you could have separate legislatures for each of the many ethnic and religious (for left-favoured Islam alone of course) legislatures.  Bargain!

Might the demonisation of men not be needed then?  Or will the demonisation of those despised 'old white men' always be necessary to portray political opponents (as in anyone who is not 'woke') as uneducated male brutes who disrespect women?

'The demonisation of Australian men' [click for link]

HooHoo and Kiah, how did you form these thoughts? From personal experiences?  

I suspect, they took one look at you and drew their conclusions!

There would be many like you suffering a bad hangover this morning. If only you were smart enough to realise the media is 70-80% left leaning. You really believed Bill Shorten won all the debates against Morrison. :( What a let down it must be for you?? Keep yer chin up old boy. 

Don't believe everything you read babe!

The far right wing propaganda machine should take a bow, Adrianus. What absolute rubbish about the media being left-leaning! What planet are you on?

And yes, I can't wait for old, white, conservative males to move on. I'm sick of them controlling everything  since the day I was born.

Yes, Adrianus, I've formed this opinion from serious, painful, personal experience, for more than 50 years now. Australians are changing & I hope our future governments start representing that soon. Unfortunately, the LNP are stuck in the past & seem determined to deter brown & female faces from their ranks.

Yes I'm dissapointed Jacinta Price didnt get quite enough votes but unlike you its not because she is a brown faced woman. Its because I think she has a lot to offer her electorate. I do hope she runs again. 

Yes I'm dissapointed Jacinta Price didnt get quite enough votes but unlike you its not because she is a brown faced woman. Its because I think she has a lot to offer her electorate. I do hope she runs again. 

I think Jacinta Price is great, too, even though I disagree with her on many political issues.

Adrianus, do you think she fell short in the election because of her brown, female face or because of her politics?

And speaking of pre-selection Kiah, remember when candidates from many parties all supposedly thoroughly screened turned out to be inelligible, costing long suffering tax payers heaps to set things right?

Elections only encourages the bastards

You have a point Tanwin. Preselection these days is anything goes and we pay for the blunders :(

Image result for caricature of clive palmer/scott morrison/peter dutton

LOL

Is that Bill Hayden's 'drover's dog' at the bottom right?  Ominous for Mr Bill 'Whatever She Says' Shorten, who could lose the unlosable election.

IT’S TIME FOR CHANGE.

Labor is running with a good, solid policy platform while the Liberals and Nationals are relying on demonisation to get ahead. Chief demoniser is motor mouth Morrison because the other ministers in the Coalition are hiding. Do people really want more of the same - instability, cuts to education, health, science research and the ABC, tax cuts for big companies and the wealthy? 

On the 7.30 Report last night Morrison spoke manically all over Leigh Sales who could hardly get a word in. He is running a one man show and I predict he will continue to do so if he becomes PM. Instability will continue and small “l” liberals will be further displaced within the Liberal Party. I think the Libs and Nats need time out to sort themselves out so I fervently hope they lose this election. 

He is PM.

Jemima Packington is the world’s only Asparamancer who can peer into the future by tossing aparagus inthe air.

I have Channel 10 in the background and from the asparagus reading COALITION will WIN

LMAO, the PM has more sense, he's using an egg - plant, LOL

Image result for scott morrison hour glass animated gif

HAHAAHA may the best joker win. Haven't answered my phones for ages. They're all ringing, Last night had Scotty himself, then a little later Julie, and on and on it goes. Tomorrow can't come quick enough.

had phone call at 11PM election eve...sound asleep..husband heard it but let go to answering machine..listened to message   this morning...was a robo call from Labor.  what a darn cheek to ring people at that time of night!

well my $10 bet paid off...ty Scott!!  :)   as I have always said the only poll that counts is the one on polling day!

I see you backed the asparamancer prediction from my post above LOL

'Jemima Packington is the world’s only Asparamancer who can peer into the future by tossing aparagus inthe air.

I have Channel 10 in the background and from the asparagus reading COALITION will WIN'

Image result for asparamancer reading COALITION will WIN' channel 10

You would think that you would give me half the winnings ;)

no asparamater for me....this is what I took note of...the researcher who predicted Donald Trump would win!

https://www.news.com.au/technology/online/social/federal-election-2019-researcher-predicts-who-will-win/news-story/33ecf6b6c7b70e33b42146350d442e9a

This is a champion government. They have not won a poll for I dont know how many years but they win the only one which counts! Well done LNP!! A team of champions and a champion team!!

It certainly reinforces the saying that the only poll that counts is the one on voting day doesn't it?  They were not my choice (as you no doubt know) but congratulations to them anyway.  As they say winners are grinners and losers can please themselves. 

I chose to believe there is good and bad in both camps and I don't believe that the sky will fall tomorrow because my chosen side didn't win.  As a friend likes to say a bird needs both the left and the right wing to fly.

Hi Leonie,

Yours is the healthy way ahead :)

Frankly, the red, blue, green or whatever political team tragics would be well advised not to allow life to pass by while wasting their life in front of The Box and at the same time being revved up by talking heads who make up - as in INVENT - the news.

I have acquaintances who have wasted precious hours of most days of their life agonising over Trump, or Clinton.  But why?  Can't they see that life's sand is trickling away? 

Who cares what Waleed says, for example?  He and other motormouths are paid to generate controversy.  One, a grown man who wants to be taken seriously(?!) even wears a red nappy on his head, while another talks endlessly about a legal appeal by some cardinal that is going to happen anyway and regardless of his support for that convict.

I have great faith in the sound judgment of the Australian people.  Even 'Richo' can say he was wrong.  Bless him too for being open about his friendships and recognition of the talent and goodwill on the LNP 'side' as well as for his own colleagues.  

I pronounce Scott Morrison KING of PROPAGANDA!!! (with more than a little help from his Ruperty & Clivey friends).

Yes, he won the election (congratulations Scott/Trumpy) but truth died in the process. Our democratic society just took one big step backwards, in my opinion.

Every cloud has a silver lining Hoohoo, and in this case the biggest losers of all are the online pollsters who have been weilfully blind to the obvious faults in their survey methods. At least poll driven decisions in the future will receive the scrutiny they deserve.

I don't give a rat's A about the pollsters - I just care about Country & people. Will Morrison even consider the Uluru Statement? Turnbull dismissed it immediately, & then HE was dismissed as Prime Minister (because he wasn't far right wing enough!)

Poor fella my country.

I watched Channel 7's coverage and note from the beginning Alan Jones, much to the surprise on most of the panel, state he couldn't see where Labor would get the extra seats it needed to form govt. He was one of the very few who thought the Libs could win from the outset.

Jones's radio broadcast goes into Qld and for weeks he has been banging on about the short-comings of Labor's economic, global warming and other policies backed up with facts and figures and I suspect a lot of people listened

Yes Suze, she (whom I loathe) was returned without my help, hopefully to do something for the community.

Oh! and I finally got a flier in my letterbox on election morning about the Lib candidate, but still NO info on WHO in the hell she is/was. Remembering years ago how hard Rishworth worked to get elected with door knocking, letterbox drops and street corner meetings etc, the Libs candidate attempt fell way way short

As an aside, was anyone as embarassed as I for the TV stations who switched to wannabe reporters standing outside some building with baited breath, waiting for someone's arrival tripping over their words and woeful english skills? Must have been more work experience or work for the dole pretenders

Laura Curran

Laura Curran (Liberal)

Liberal

Curran moved to Adelaide to commence her university studies after spending her teenage years abroad living in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

After life in the Middle East, Laura states that she has developed a strong passion for South Australia.

Tanwin

Perhaps one day she will be our Prime Minister.

To get 37.6% of the 76.7% counted ... she did very well.

Image result for congratulations scott morrison

You got me all wrong Aquarius, hahahaha

I got it all wrong this time ABE. For the first time in aeons, I voted Labor only to see them fold in. Morrison put up a good fight and I have to admit, he had some clever people around him.

So Ray, you didn't get an epiphany like me when you got to the polling booth. On the way there all I saw was myfranking credits flying through the door. Like Scotty, I prayed for a miracle and got it. Now I may even join the church since his new theme song is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iug5KMRW7yM

Reagan, I am told the miracle result is proof of Morrison's great sky spirit

in speaking to quite a number I know (pre election) it all came down to the hip pocket.  Shorten scared them with his grandiose policies  and many were not Lib voters but were this time.

Well I'm happy to know that my income is not getting cut by 50%. And my home is not dropping in value any faster than it is already. Shorten picked a lot of fights with different minority groups which he thought didnt matter to him. 

I agree with the comment that this election was about the hip pocket. Everyone was frightened into thinking they'd lose out if we changed government.

Poorer people believed the lies & propaganda that they'd lose what little they had & richer people (who so often follow their religion of greed) just wedged in, as they do. Yep, you greedy rich ones scored a win, but the future of our land & society just took a big nose-dive.

Pity the LNP aren't more forward looking, like beyond the next electoral cycle. It's my belief we've all lost out, culturally & economically, because now Morrison will say he's got a mandate for more of the same (6 years of LNP ineptitude). Go whistle, Australian culture! Hello USA!

All our friends and family are so proud of all the Aussies who saw through the lies and divisive policies that Shorten and his team were proposing
Also so heartening to see the many posters on here who saw through this dishonest and biased articles posted by YLC and labor supportersScott is a personal family friend and he will be a wonderful leader of this great nation Also Clive Palmer should be commended for using $80million of his personal funds to stop Shorten from getting the top job. We owe Clive and Scott Morrisson our eternal gratitude for saving Australia

FirstPrev1234NextLast(page 2/4)
43 comments

To make a comment, please register or login

Preview your comment