Animal Antics

Random acts of kindness. Kindness is a quality that shows you… | by Waleed  Tariq | Medium

Ancient black swans hunted to extinction, NZ's swans from ...

FirstPrev 103 104 105 106 107 NextLast(page 105/141)
1961 comments

Award-winning photographer who has taken tens of thousands of images of African elephants reveals his favourite shots of the majestic creatures

Photographer Peter Delaney has been snapping images of elephants across the African continent since 2001 The 49-year-old, who is originally from Ireland, says he has become fascinated by the majestic creatures Peter told MailOnline Travel: 'There is something magical and beautiful when you observe elephants'

Peter, who is originally from Ireland but now lives in South Africa, quit his job working in the finance industry in London and Tokyo in 2001 - and decided to go travelling across Africa, taking pictures.

In 2007, he became a professional wildlife photographer, with Africa continuing to be a favourite subject, particularly its eastern and southern regions.

During his travels, he became fascinated with African elephants - falling in love with the majestic creatures. And over the years he has accumulated a vast amount of knowledge about their behaviour.

The 49-year-old, who has been a category winner in the Wildlife Photographer of the Year contest three times, explained: 'Like humans, elephants create bonds that last a lifetime. They are capable of showing emotions from love to anger.

Peter described this elephant as looking very serene when he photographed it in the Mara Triangle 

Peter described this elephant as looking very serene when he photographed it in the Mara Triangle 

This elephant was snapped by Peter in Etosha National Park. He says his favourite places to photograph the creatures are Namibia and South Africa 

This elephant was snapped by Peter in Etosha National Park. He says his favourite places to photograph the creatures are Namibia and South Africa 

Most of Peter's shots are in black and white, which he believes elevates the image to a form of art. He photographed this elephant in Etosha National Park 

Most of Peter's shots are in black and white, which he believes elevates the image to a form of art. He photographed this elephant in Etosha National Park 

Peter came across this family of elephants in the Mara Triangle. He started travelling across Africa taking photos in 2001 

Peter came across this family of elephants in the Mara Triangle. He started travelling across Africa taking photos in 2001

Before moving to Africa and deciding to go travelling across the continent, Peter, who is originally from Ireland, worked in the finance industry in London and Tokyo. This beautiful shot was taken in the Mara Triangle 

Before moving to Africa and deciding to go travelling across the continent, Peter, who is originally from Ireland, worked in the finance industry in London and Tokyo. This beautiful shot was taken in the Mara Triangle 

Peter said: 'Black-and-white photography allows me to express my vision and creativity by creating visual depth by playing or adjusting the luminance values of light and shadows (the contrast) within a photograph' 

Peter said: 'Black-and-white photography allows me to express my vision and creativity by creating visual depth by playing or adjusting the luminance values of light and shadows (the contrast) within a photograph' 

'Elephants are very protective of their young. In times of threat, the family will close ranks and the young are pushed to the middle.

'Loud calls will be trumpeted and ears will flap as the herd gathers around to protect the most vulnerable.

'This can be seen in one of my favourite elephant images called Bonds of Love.'

This incredible shot of seven trekking elephants was captured by Peter in Etosha National Park 

This incredible shot of seven trekking elephants was captured by Peter in Etosha National Park

A majestic elephant in Etosha National Park 
 Another of Peter's favourite images, which he called Queen of the Mara. It was taken in the Mara Triangle On the left is a majestic elephant in Etosha National Park. On the right is another of Peter's favourite-ever images, which he called Queen of the Mara. It was taken in the Mara TrianglePeter said: 'Elephant prints are ones that connect emotionally with me and the viewer.' He took this image of a 'contemplative' elephant in Kenya's Masai Mara Peter said: 'Elephant prints are ones that connect emotionally with me and the viewer.' He took this image of a 'contemplative' elephant in Kenya's Masai MaraPeter said: 'In the digital darkroom, I can breathe life into a photograph using my vision and tools that are only available in black-and-white editing' Peter said: 'In the digital darkroom, I can breathe life into a photograph using my vision and tools that are only available in black-and-white editing' An extreme close-up that Peter has called Big Foot. It was captured in Mapungubwe National Park in northern South Africa An extreme close-up that Peter has called Big Foot. It was captured in Mapungubwe National Park in northern South Africa

Many of Peter's favourite elephant images from his spellbinding portfolio are black-and-white shots, which he believes elevate the image to a form of art.

Peter explained: 'Black-and-white photography allows me to express my vision and creativity by creating visual depth by playing or adjusting the luminance values of light and shadows (the contrast) within a photograph.

'Cameras are tools that have no consciousness or feeling. In the digital darkroom, I can breathe life into a photograph using my vision and tools that are only available in black-and-white editing.

Stunning photography of majestic elephants.

Wonderful elephant photos, thank you Celia.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-largest-eagles-in-the-world.html

https://animalscomparison.com/compare-philippine-eagle-vs-bald-eagle/

Is Philippine eagle is the largest eagle in the world?

The Philippine eagle is from the Accipitridae family, and it is also a Pithecophaga type. It is one of the biggest, strongest and most powerful eagle among the other wild birds around the globe. No, Philippine eagle is not the largest eagle, Steller’s Sea Eagle is the largest eagle in the world.

Stellers Sea Eagle

Little is known about these birds but they do habitat around Russia and fly down to Japan in the warmer months.

Pin on Nature

Steller's sea eagle is walking along the pier in the port | Premium Photo

List of Eagle Species | BirdLife

Pity the top one is tied up, what an amazing bird these are, would not want to have a run in with those claws.

I really love Elephants and those Black and White photos are stunning. I have a collection of Elephants in my loungeroom and you can bet when birthdays or Christmas comes around someone will give me an Elephant. In fact  I have  large oil painting on my wall of a beautiful Indian Elephant with a little crystal tear in the corner of his eye. Everybody loves it, especially when a lamp is shining on it in the dark. Yes, I even have a couple in the garden hiding in amongst the plants. 

Do all your elephant trucks stick up, apparently that gives you more luck than hanging down ones.

HI HOLA,    like you,  i love elephants,   and also have quite a collection,    your sound lovely,   my eldest daughter had a trip planned to go and live with the elephants for 3 weeks,     they were to be allowed to wash them ,  feed them,   all that has been put on hold,  of course,  until heavens knows when,    i was watching a doco, only last week,    watched an elephant give birth,    SYDNEY ZOO ,  if i remember correctly,      amazing animals,       havent heard anymore about the ones they found dead,   some time ago,     i wonder if they found what killed them,   it sounded very srange,  

Hi Cats - . My Granddaughter went to Thailand a couple of years ago on a ConTiki Tour. She sent photos of herself washing the Elephants in a river. One of them sprayed her from head to toe and it was muddy water, it made a great shot.  I saw that film of the Elephant giving birth. It's amazing to see . It suddenly dropped out of Mum and lay very still, she came up to it and was pushing it, trying to get it to stand. It did eventually. Those babies are so cute. 

For all those people that are ill and cannot get out and enjoy the various animals of our planet, enjoy the results of this competition.  These are some darling animals of our world it is hard to select the best they are all wonderful.

They're having a giraffe! A rude turtle, a smiling fish and a singing squirrel feature in the 2020 Comedy Wildlife Photography AwardsThe animals were pictured by photographers who have gone on to compete in the Comedy Wildlife Awards Competition founded by Tom Sullam and Paul Joynson, who are both wildlife photographers themselvesThousands of entries have been whittled down to 44 of the best, also including a smiling fish 

These have been whittled down to what should have been 40 entries.  But the final number turned out to be 44 because the competition's founders Tom Sullam and Paul Joynson, who are both Tanzania-based wildlife photographers themselves, felt there were four which could not be left out. 

Tom told Bored Panda: 'Choosing the finalists was basically an impossible task, our initial shortlist was over 400, which is three times more than it has ever been.'  

As well as providing a smile, the competition works alongside the Born Free Foundation to highlight a more serious matter - the importance of conserving our planet's beautiful wildlife.

Here, FEMAIL shares a selection of the best finalists' photos...

This turtle looked as though it was being very rude indeed to the photographer who snapped it swimming. The picture is one of the 44 finalists in the annual Comedy Wildlife Awards and was taken by Mark Fitzpatrick at the Lady Elliot Island Eco Resort in Queensland, Australia This turtle looked as though it was being very rude indeed to the photographer who snapped it swimming. The picture is one of the 44 finalists in the annual Comedy Wildlife Awards and was taken by Mark Fitzpatrick at the Lady Elliot Island Eco Resort in Queensland, Australia Water great smile! This colourful fish looked absolutely delighted to be photographed by appearing to give a wide grin. The animal, which looks like it could be in a Disney movie, is a European Parrotfish that was snapped off the coast of The Canary Islands, Spain Water great smile! This colourful fish looked absolutely delighted to be photographed by appearing to give a wide grin. The animal, which looks like it could be in a Disney movie, is a European Parrotfish that was snapped off the coast of The Canary Islands, SpainThis squirrel looked as though it was belting out a song as it stood on its hind legs and appeared to sing with its head held high. The photo is titled 'O sole mio' and was taken in  Hungary by Roland Kranitz This squirrel looked as though it was belting out a song as it stood on its hind legs and appeared to sing with its head held high. The photo is titled 'O sole mio' and was taken in  Hungary by Roland KranitzHaving a giraffe! This giraffe looked very mischievous as it appeared to force its way in to a photo which was being taken of one of its mates, the photo was taken at the Etosha National Park in Namibia Having a giraffe! This giraffe looked very mischievous as it appeared to force its way in to a photo which was being taken of one of its mates, the photo was taken at the Etosha National Park in NamibiaMonkeying around! These two macaques, pictured in Borneo, Malaysia, looked as though they were engaged in something very naughty indeed Monkeying around! These two macaques, pictured in Borneo, Malaysia, looked as though they were engaged in something very naughty indeedThis raccoon clearly let its desire for food get the better of it as it was seen stuck head-first inside a hole in a tree. Photographer Charlie Davidson took the photo in Newport News, Virginia This raccoon clearly let its desire for food get the better of it as it was seen stuck head-first inside a hole in a tree. Photographer Charlie Davidson took the photo in Newport News, VirginiaThis baby otter looked absolutely terrified and very upset as its mother groomed it in Singapore. Max Teo aptly titled his shot 'It's the Last Day of School Holidays.' This baby otter looked absolutely terrified and very upset as its mother groomed it in Singapore. Max Teo aptly titled his shot 'It's the Last Day of School Holidays.'

Bear with me! This bear, pictured in Alaska, appeared to be waving at whoever was taking its picture. It was seen in water standing straight on its hind legs with its left paw raised in the air 

Bear with me! This bear, pictured in Alaska, appeared to be waving at whoever was taking its picture. It was seen in water standing straight on its hind legs with its left paw raised in the air

This seal, pictured in Caithness, Scotland, looked as though it found something very funny as it was seen with its eyes screwed shut and its mouth wide open lying on a piece of wood just out of the water This seal, pictured in Caithness, Scotland, looked as though it found something very funny as it was seen with its eyes screwed shut and its mouth wide open lying on a piece of wood just out of the water

This Eurasian red squirrel in Espelo in the Netherlands, looked to be having the time of its life as it was seen with what looked like a smile on its face and two streaks of fur rising from its head into the air. Photographer Femke van Willigen called it 'The Inside Joke'

This Eurasian red squirrel in Espelo in the Netherlands, looked to be having the time of its life as it was seen with what looked like a smile on its face and two streaks of fur rising from its head into the air. Photographer Femke van Willigen called it 'The Inside Joke'

This silverback gorilla looked a little down in the dumps as it sat with its head resting on its palm at the Mgahinga Gorilla National Park in Uganda. Taken by Marcus Westberg, the snap is called 'Boredom'

This silverback gorilla looked a little down in the dumps as it sat with its head resting on its palm at the Mgahinga Gorilla National Park in Uganda. Taken by Marcus Westberg, the snap is called 'Boredom'Help me! This poor monkey looked pained as it sat hot springs in Japan and lifted its hands in the air with a grimaced expression on his face Help me! This poor monkey looked pained as it sat hot springs in Japan and lifted its hands in the air with a grimaced expression on his faceBy contrast, this other primate, which was pictured elsewhere in Japan, appeared triumphant as it raised its arms into the air and wore a resolute expression its face. The snow monkey was bathing in Jigokudani Monkey Park By contrast, this other primate, which was pictured elsewhere in Japan, appeared triumphant as it raised its arms into the air and wore a resolute expression its face. The snow monkey was bathing in Jigokudani Monkey ParkNoting to see here! These two young bears appeared as though they were seeking to remove a tire from a pick-up truck in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming as they cheekily looked back at the camera Noting to see here! These two young bears appeared as though they were seeking to remove a tire from a pick-up truck in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming as they cheekily looked back at the cameraAn icy look! This polar bear, which was pictured in Svalbard, Norway looked to be embarrassed about something as it was seen resting on a patch of ice with its paw apparently covering its eyes An icy look! This polar bear, which was pictured in Svalbard, Norway looked to be embarrassed about something as it was seen resting on a patch of ice with its paw apparently covering its eyesManicure time! This bird posed in a way which made it look like it was filing its nails... even though it didn't have any. The snap, which also looks like a bird playing a an instrument, was taken in Florida Manicure time! This bird posed in a way which made it look like it was filing its nails... even though it didn't have any. The snap, which also looks like a bird playing a an instrument, was taken in FloridaTough Negotiations! This small fox looked to be engaging in conversation with an even tinier creature - a rodent in this snap captured in Israel Tough Negotiations! This small fox looked to be engaging in conversation with an even tinier creature - a rodent in this snap captured in Israel Fun for all ages! This naughty monkey seemed to be joyfully swinging from the tails of its companions who were sitting on a tree branch above - and looking less than happy as they swung on a tree in Kabini, India Fun for all ages! This naughty monkey seemed to be joyfully swinging from the tails of its companions who were sitting on a tree branch above - and looking less than happy as they swung on a tree in Kabini, IndiaSeriously, Would You Share Some? This greedy Atlantic puffin looked to be hogging all the fish and its companion looked a little upset in a snap taken in Scotland Seriously, Would You Share Some? This greedy Atlantic puffin looked to be hogging all the fish and its companion looked a little upset in a snap taken in Scotland These four dwarf mongooses looked like statues as they all stared straight ahead from behind a log at Lake Bogoria, Kenya. The photo is called 'Surprise Smiles' thanks to the animals sweet expressions These four dwarf mongooses looked like statues as they all stared straight ahead from behind a log at Lake Bogoria, Kenya. The photo is called 'Surprise Smiles' thanks to the animals sweet expressions  

Thank you so much Celia, had a great laugh and smiles all round here, very impressive photography, I searched the internet and signed up for email updates for next year. Made my day! :)

:) My favourite for this year.

Glad you both enjoyed them, wish more would!

Sometimes life can be so complex then a few minutes later so simple & relaxing to enjoying these peoples tallents with their cameras.

I cannot spot my favourite I love them all for various reasons.

To tell you the truth Celia, this is my favourite topic, and I cannot understand why people don't sit back and enjoy this more too. Too much dwelling on the negative in life is not good for the soul or your mental health.

I also cannot pick my favourite, but the one that made my son and I laugh the most was the raccoon stuck in the hole in the tree. So nice to share that with my son and have a laugh with him, that is why it made my day too.

Thanks Celia for all those lovely photos which gave me a good laugh. I must admit the one of the Gorilla depicts how I feel some days. I sit here thinking "What to do next"?

Scientists are baffled as killer whales launch spate of 'attacks' on boats off Spain and Portugal, leaving at least one crewman hurt

A spate of attacks on boats in Spanish and Portuguese waters by killer whales have confused scientists and left at least one crewman injured with bruises caused by the collisions.

They must be hungry, as fish stocks get low from over-fishing from humans, so do the other marine creatures get less and less that killer whales eat.

Bird lover, 72, who feeds 600 pigeons outside her home every day refuses to stop - despite enraging her neighbours and facing a $30,000 fine from council

Elizabeth Vlajkov spends $6 every day on food to feed the birds outside her house in Parafield Gardens in Adelaide.

I don't think I could cope with having 600 birds around my garden each day!

Me either Celia, way too many.

That is a lot of birds, sadly they have become dependant on her, and sad for her too because she enjoys them so much and does not think she is doing anything wrong.

Fining her is not the answer, she needs some bird experts in to explain to her how to get them to be independant and realize she is doing more harm than good.

And maybe a new hobby, she is probably lonely too and she see's them as friends.

My Husbaand was guilty of feeding the Pigeons in our back yard. There they were every morning sitting on the fence, like an Alfred Hitchcock movie "The Birds". He'd tap on the bin and they'd all come flying down. After he passed away I didn't feed them and after a couple of weeks I never saw them again. 

Is your cat a secret serial killer? Miniature cameras that spy on pet moggies reveal they bring home very few of the creatures they kill, study shows

Pet cats bring home very few of the creatures they actually kill, a new study shows. 'Kitty-cam' study suggests 82 per cent of prey caught by cats was not returned home.

Spartacus the 18kg African serval cat is found safe after escaping from his family's home and spending three days in the wild

Police in New Hampshire have found Spartacus, an African serval cat, Saturday. The 40lb cat was trapped near its owner's home, and has been reunited with its owners after running off.

Cats do a lot of killing of wildlife just for fun.

Interesting you can own an African serval cat in UK.

About a year ago one of my cats got out, about an hour later I heard a noice and found my husband had got the cat into the house with a bird, the cat came to me with the bird, husband managed let go of both and I ended up putting the bird out into the alfresco and then opened the gate so it went out and sat in the trees.  It was panting away so I got some water, but it must have been frightened of me coming with the water and it flew off.

The cat of course was not happy as it was a present for me!  LOL

I remember as a teenager with a cat that used to bring mice into the house, I use to catch the mouse in the bathroom, one evening my mother had just gone to bed and I took the caught mouse into her in a jam jar!  LOL  I was not popular!

I often hear friends having to catch an odd mouse that their cats have brought in, I guess they feel it is a present also to their human mums!

LOL!

Monkeying around! Gelada baboon relaxes in the wilds of... Bristol

Their thick coats protect them from the extremes of temperatures in the mountains of northern Ethiopia, but also come in handy if it gets a bit blowy off the River Avon.

And judging by the yawn this one let out, they keep you the perfect temperature for an afternoon nap.

Monkeying around: The gelada lets out a beast of a yawn as he relaxes in his enclosure at the Wild Place Project Monkeying around: The gelada lets out a beast of a yawn as he relaxes in his enclosure at the Wild Place ProjectTiring work: He rolls over contemplating life at the family-run conservation park on the outskirts of Bristol Tiring work: He rolls over contemplating life at the family-run conservation park on the outskirts of BristolHappy days: Normally found in the mountains of northern Ethiopia, this male is one of six at the Gloucestershire wildlife parkHappy days: Normally found in the mountains of northern Ethiopia, this male is one of six at the Gloucestershire wildlife parkContent: He is all smiles as he lets the world pass him by upside down, showing off the flash of red on his chest that gives the breed the nickname 'bleeding heart monkeys'  

Content: He is all smiles as he lets the world pass him by upside down, showing off the flash of red on his chest that gives the breed the nickname 'bleeding heart monkeys

Very funny monkey.

Pet owners put rising number of parrots up for adoption because their squawking interrupts lockdown Zoom calls and many of them hate female company

Noisy parrots are being put up for adoption after lockdown due to squawking. One bird rehoming charity saw a 40 per cent increase in parrots needing a new home this year.

Cockatoos of Australia

Between the Parrots and the Pigeons the birds are having a hard time. 

Will never understand why people keep birds as pets, they need to fly. Cockatoos are a terrible pet, they are so loud. These owners did not have to listen to them all day when they are most vocal while they were at work and now finding out how much noise they make all day.

My Brother-in-Law had to replace most of his decking as the Parrots chewed it to pieces. 

Man taking a nap by his pool is startled awake by a bear that takes a drink of water before it sniffs and paws his foot

A curious bear gave a Massachusetts man a surprise wake up call from his poolside nap. Matthew Bete, of Greenfield, Massachusetts, was sleeping in a lounge chair by his pool Saturday, when a bear wandered in through an open gate. The stealthy bear made a beeline for the swimming pool, taking a leisurely drink of water, while Bete slept peacefully. Once hydrated, the bear turned around and spotted Bete.

Matthew Bete was caught on video sleeping in a lounge chair by his pool when a bear wandered in through an open gate and drank from his pool    

Matthew Bete was caught on video sleeping in a lounge chair by his pool when a bear wandered in through an open gate and drank from his pool 

The bear then startled Bete awake by touching his foot Bete's movements scared off the bear, which Bete then tries to take a picture of  

The bear then startled Bete awake by touching his foot (left). Bete's movements scared off the bear, which Bete then tries to take a picture of (right) 

The motion woke up Bete with a start and his sudden movement scared the bear off.

The whole incident - including his scramble to take a picture of the fleeing bear - was caught on Bete's home security camera. 

Bete's wife, Dawn Bete, posted the video on Facebook, writing: 'Matt was a little startled yesterday while taking a rest by the pool.'    

In a comment on the video, Dawn wrote that her husband had 'texted me a picture of the bear running through the front yard and said the bear nudged his foot while he was sleeping by pool.

'Of course I thought he was kidding! He told me to look at the Ring video. Sure enough.......'

She added: 'Matt was just so startled, picked up his phone with no luck of a good picture. He wasn't sure how he should react but knew he couldn't get up that fast but at least he had another chair and table between them if needed. Luckily it went running out soon after the encounter.' 

Massachusetts says that black bears have been expanding their territory throughout the state in recent years. 

The state's website encourages people who encounter bears where they don't belong to 'yell' and 'make lots of noise' because a 'bear's first response to something unusual is to leave.'   

Wow, close call, lucky he was not hungry.

Little Singapore and their Zoo

Singapore Zoo - Visit Singapore Official Site

ESSENTIAL SINGAPORE

FirstPrev 103 104 105 106 107 NextLast(page 105/141)
1961 comments

To make a comment, please register or login

Preview your comment