Who won the first 2020 US presidential debate?

Despite repeated attacks, Trump is giving little away about his second-term outlook," said US political commentator Dr Luis da Vinha.

Anyone watching the first debate witnessed an incumbent bullying his opponent, and a candidate willing to engage the public. 

"The first debate of the 2020 US election was a very (un)Presidential Debate," said the Dr da Vinha, a lecturer at Flinders University.

"The first presidential debate in the 2020 elections revealed two candidates with markedly distinct styles and views of America.

"Joe Biden demonstrated that, despite his age, he had prepared for the debate, offering data and specific proposals for the country.

"President Trump, for his part, came to the debate with his usual chutzpah, touting his administration’s accomplishments over the last four years. Without providing any details of his alleged achievements, the incumbent president continued to claim that the U.S. had never been so good than under his administration. Despite his bravado, Trump however did not provide a path forward regarding the priorities for his second term. He spent most of the debate attacking Biden’s record and trying to portray him as the figurehead of the “radical left”.

"Overall, the debate was marked by overt hostility, creating several cringeworthy moments for the American public.

"True to his style, Trump repeatedly interrupted Biden and personally attacked his character and his family, making him pivot from his manage on several occasions. While Biden also interrupted his adversary and threw several personal jabs at the president, he took several opportunities to speak directly to the American people, trying to establish a personal connection with the electorate.

Dr da Vinha went on to question the need for these types of debates.

"Nine in 10 registered voters said they were already certain on who they would vote, the debate will contribute very little to the election result. If anything, it just confirms the polarised and dysfunctional nature of the current American political environment."

Did you see the debate? How did it make you feel?

30 comments

The Democrats, the media elites and leftist leaning judiciary never accepted President Trump's clear win and have continually resorted to divisive tactics, politics of envy and supporting anyone, movement or ideology that undermines the very fabric of American society. Trump has done more than that impotent Obama ever did by forging and succeeding peace deals, improving the lives of African Americans, bringing back industries, challenging foreign bullies and signing many Executive Orders that the media will never publicise because it does not suit their Marxist agenda. Biden needs to retire now to a nursing home and get out as he is an apologist for unruly mobs and anarchists and is so soft on crime he supports the defunding of police, increasing taxes again and sanctioning the destruction of American society. Look at Biden's legacy and what he stands for.

All I know is that if Trump wins again not just America but the whole world will  never be  the same again.

The man is a dangerous narcissist.  His refusal to act on Covid has cost America near to 200,000 lives, and a generation of survivors who will be plagued with lifelong health problems.  On that count alone he should  not re-elected .

Although he says he has a  new health care plan, he shows no sign of it. If it's true he should already have been putting it into action.

His behaviour towards people  of colour and women is inexcusable .

He has lied over and over again to the people of America and most recently about his failure to pay tax;  it has all been recorded- absolute proof .

Who would want a man like that in charge of their country?

"Who would want a man like that in charge of their country?" - a surprising number of Americans, resident and abroad. Don't be surprised if he wins, Biden needs everything to go his way to prevail.

How on earth anyone can support Trump is beyond me. He is a thug of the highest order. He is not presidential and I could never respect him. He has done so much damage to America including the role of a president. It is sad. Forget politics it is about him and who he is. Of course they should have someone younger opposing him but a rabbit would be preferable to keeping Trump in office. His Vice President like Trump's will likely fill the gap. I think it is pretty obvious that Trump is just a front man and Pense is the power. The way Trump runs off at the mouth shows he has not got the intelligence or knowledge to be the actual leader of the free world. Let's hope Americans go out to vote and chuck him out of office for the world's sake as well their own country. 

Having watched the debate yesterday, my heart goes out to the American people. Since my retirement, I have met a lot of Americans in my travel, who are the most generous and kind people I have encountered. Watching their head of state behaving so petulantly in front of the nation instead of showing his policy for his people in his next term, I was absolutely gobsmacked.

I tried to work out what Trump tried to do with his interruption and disruption in the debate. Was he trying to censor Biden, because Trump had nothing to offer? Or, was he offering chaos to show the superiority of his bully tactics? One thing is so obvious in this debate, Trump had neither interest in the rules of the debate nor he had the courtesy to his opponent. Translating these features to his administration, American voters have a lot to think about.

History has laid bare the evidence of dispensing his cohorts in the White House, his priority for the economy over people's health, his belief in law and order but not for all, his creation of jobs only with low pays, and the distribution of wealth in America among its workers of something to be desired. Trump can put forward these matters in the next debate with Biden. 

The American voters are the ones, who determine who is going to be the President in the next four years. No matter how much mud Trump throws at Biden, if he has nothing to offer, it won't work. I hope the next debate will have some civility and dignity worthy of a great nation.

The US has lost all sense of credibility as a world power, which leaves a nice vacuum  for Russia, China or maybe India to fill.

Most of all, it is a tragedy that there was no DIGNITY in the foolish brawling. These are not world leaders.

Worst of all, has anyone read their history, and looked at Europe in the early 1930's?  Oh Oh!! So very similar; loss of democracy in a powerful country, a lunatic at the helm, pre-existing animosity and trade issues with powerful dictatorships, a move to the Right,  etc. 

If Trump returns (and I suspect he will) it will be "Hell in a handbasket " time.  Trump's final words in the Debate will be true: "This won't end well."

That was NOT a "debate" in any shape or form. That was a +A fail for Kindergarten 101 - politely wait your turn.

Dear Donald, there IS a set of rules for a debate and I don't thinj you missed breaking any -continuously

How anyone can vote for Biden is beyond me.  Didn't anyone see the wire he was wearing beneath his right collar??!!

What do you think the wire meant?

Assuming you are incorrect,  how would that disqualify him from trying to "debate" with a crazy lying narcissist ? Or from standing for president?

Did youbthink someone was operating him by remote control.  LOL

The wire meant he was being coached, the man can't put two words together by himself

Trump You Can't Fix Stupid | Etsy

but you can turn his microphone off!!

Miss Buttinsky, you know what you said about putting Trump in a box when it’s not his turn to speak – they heard you LOL The presidential debate commission says it will cut microphones at the next debate

Donald Trump has rejected calls to tweak the rules of his next two presidential candidate debates with Democratic challenger Joe Biden after a first match-up was marred by constant interruptions and outbursts.

The idiot says...."Why would I allow the Debate Commission to change the rules for the second and third Debates when I easily won last time?" 

-------

And so the circus continues??

The moderator was extremely anti Trump.  Quite frankly if Biden wins then America is fckd!

Tood, that is an interesting comment. Will you please explain both of your statements? These statements are hollow if they are not backed up with facts and substance..

FULL STORY

Unsubstantiated claims about former Vice President Joe Biden circulated on social media ahead of the first presidential debate — and they followed the Sept. 29 event, too.

Widely shared posts on Facebook and Twitter following the debate suggested that the Democrat was “wearing a wire” and receiving help with his responses during his square-off with President Donald Trump.

The erroneous claim followed earlier, unfounded suggestions that Biden would be wearing an earpiece during the debate, an assertion that echoes similar partisan claims made over the years by both sides. Biden’s deputy campaign manager, Kate Bedingfield, reportedly called the claim “absurd” on a call with journalists and said, “Of course, he is not wearing an earpiece.”

And the low-quality photos and videos cited as evidence for the “wire” claim don’t support the argument.

On Facebook, a video shared more than 8,000 times shows a grainy recording of Biden putting his hand beneath his jacket as he appears to scratch his shoulder. The video zooms in and appears to show a line on Biden’s shirt.

“There it is, there it is. Biden’s wearing a wire,” a male voiceover says on the video. “Why do you need a wire, bro?”

Trump can be heard in the debate saying, “They can wear masks. They can do whatever they want. But they gotta open the states up. When you look at North Carolina…”

Higher quality video of that point in time during the debate (see below) shows the “wire” is actually a crease in Biden’s shirt.

Nevertheless, the claim has spread on social media. A similar video was uploaded to YouTube and was viewed more than 15,000 times. Users shared tweets using the hashtag #JoeWired.

Some posts slyly spread the falsehood in the form of a question. “Was Biden wearing a wire?” reads a meme that in one Facebook post was reshared 7,600 times.

That post and others homed in not only on the crease in the shirt but also on Biden’s wrist, with circles drawn to direct attention to a small object beneath the shirt cuff on his left wrist.

It’s unclear what exactly Biden had on his wrist, but there’s been no credible evidence put forward to support the notion that it was a “wire.” Instead, some have correctly pointed out that Biden is known to wear a rosary around his wrist in honor of his late son, Beau.

Biden talked about wearing the beads during a 2017 interview with Megyn Kelly, showing the rosary — also on his left wrist.

“I have not taken off the rosary Beau was wearing when he passed, since then,” he said. “It’s my connection with him.”

Editor’s note: FactCheck.org is one of several organizations working with Facebook to debunk misinformation shared on social media. Our previous stories can be found here.

This fact check is available at IFCN’s 2020 US Elections FactChat #Chatbot on WhatsApp. Click here for more.

Tood, do read the message from Miss Buttinsky, which sounds well reasoned. 

Just because Joe Biden is slower and quieter than Trump doesn't mean he's a fool.

Coronavirus Australia update LIVE: Donald Trump tests positive to COVID-19,  Victoria records seven cases, NSW, NT open to NZ, QLD border to reopen to  on November 1, Australia death toll at 890

The Trumps test positive for Covid-19.

Democratic vice presidential nominee Sen. Kamala Harris and Vice President Mike Pence participate in the vice presidential debate moderated by Washington Bureau Chief for USA Today Susan Page in Salt Lake City on October 7.

Thank goodness..a civilised Vice Presidential debate.  Who won? In my opinion they both put forward their points quite well...however...Kamala Harris did so in the most eloquent, honest and sedate style.

Worth watching....

On a lighter note, according to one observer ...

Ha ha, yes the fly stole the show :)))

FirstPrev123NextLast(page 2/3)
30 comments

To make a comment, please register or login

Preview your comment