We can already earn $6500 a year legislated - what is going on?

Oh dear Julia is so desperate ? We already have the ability to earn the $6500 in Pension Work Act or whatever it was called when it went through.
$500 a fortnight of which first $250 didn't count.
250x26 = $6500.

So not that new and apart from all that only 30,000 actually work and they should know, and why is that one wonders? Because you cant get a bloody job that's why - maybe those few have work for relatives who own the business who knows but we do know that many over 50's cant get a job and haven't been able to for years - been there done that is what many of us say.

Plus there is already an Age Discrimination Act 2004 which is not being policed by the Commissioner as if it were ads for workers would like the UK say 'up to 65' and not up to 35 etc as they mainly do. I would be more impressed if instead of shelling out even more money on yet another public servant - she said that the current commissioner would actually be made to do her job for once in her life and act or ACCC or anyone on the public teat.

[color=red][quote]PENSIONERS would be able to earn up to $6500 a year and keep their full benefit under a relaxation of the pension Work Bonus to be announced by Julia Gillard today.

In a pitch for the grey vote, the Prime Minister will unveil the changes, worth $94 million, saying they would be worth up to $100 a fortnight extra for 30,000 pensioners.[/quote][/color]

[b]And the only way to get that bit extra is to vote for the Liberal party who will pay an employer to put you on the payroll. Because this will work - whereas the Labor proposal has not and wont as they talk and promise but have shown this lot cant do the job without making a mess of it and wasting more money which is again being proposed in putting on another person to police the discrimination act when one is already being paid to do so. Certainly paying the employers in the last recession we had to have under Keating worked [/b]

[color=blue][quote]Opposition Leader Tony Abbott has announced payments of up to $3250 for businesses that employ a worker aged over 50, who receives a government benefit.

The senior employment incentive payment would begin in mid-2011 under a coalition government, he said.

"I think that older people are an asset, and I want them to be an economic asset as well as a social and cultural asset," he told reporters in Brisbane.[/quote][/color]

Added a poll for a bit of guidance - and fun too to see how it will pan out compared with those published

9 comments

Supposedly, we would be able to earn the income in a short period of time, instead of it being allowed at a small proportion per week or fortnight. Work when work is available, for those who have the skills to be room cleaners in motels, during holiday times, as well as those who have the skills to prepare tax returns at the end of the financial year and utilising all other skills you may have acquired. I have voted as undecided still. I have to still weigh what will benefit myself, my children and Australia.

A single person can at present earn up to $3796 per year (up to $146 p/f)

The government is proposing to raise this to $6500.

I don't know why some posters continue to put up deceptive figures.

Good one fwed. ;-)

I am sure all those in nursing homes and unable to work will be pleased with this proposal--NOT!!!! They still have to manage on the normal pension

A single person can at present earn up to $3796 per year (up to $146 p/f)

The government is proposing to raise this to $6500.

I don't know why some posters continue to put up deceptive figures.

Do you know that you are one irritating grumpy old man and you go out of your way to mislead others.

What you quote above is the pay we have always been able to earn. Not affected by the Work Bonus at all.

No wonder Innes gets annoyed - you simply just cant help yourself - you have to destroy any discussion.

Sure you are not NSW Labor - they spend their time doing just that.

I am sure all those in nursing homes and unable to work will be pleased with this proposal--NOT!!!! They still have to manage on the normal pension

Quite right Plan B. They, poor sods would like a bit more money for a bit more comfort.

Also do remember the carers lost their $1600 bonus under Labor also. We were lucky to keep the $500 Howard had promised us and that Rudd did a 'me too' on as someone and now it is clear - Julia - wanted it saved for better productive projects. Glad he kept that promise eh!

This change to the Pension Work Bonus sounds good but it is cobbled together and the best bit is being able to spread it over but I did think that you could do this anyway.

Anyone on commissions and earning small sums and than large sums and expenses to be deducted can spread it over time and still draw down on dole - all the real estate reps in WA do this as not on award or weren't - maybe changed under new work practices Julia brought in - but maybe age pension being the only means tested benefit makes this different.

The $25 a week extra as I said above is not that much these days - blimey I bought 2 pork pies and they cost $9. Hubbie said WHAT!!! That much! - but then he is out of touch and so I think are these politicians on prices.

Remember that politician here in Tassie who reneged on trying to live on a single pension after saying it was enough - she was Labor and got voted out in the election ha ha bloody ha and good on seniors in her electorate. Silly woman should have known better but see drawing good salary with perks and eating out at taxpayer expense or via business deductions (also on taxpayer) expense and no idea of the cost of actual living and since then the "shocking electric" bill has gone up again.

We all have to hope and pray that sanity prevails and we dont get Labor back as for sure the idiots who want to punish Labor but cant bring themselves to vote for Liberals or Nationals and no independent on the ticket will vote Green - and or Green on Senate too.

meaning our shocking electric/gas bill will go up even higher as the Greens want to bring in a Carbon Tax and this will be their lever to blackmail Labor over getting other things Labor wants through the Senate.

That is my biggest worry that and the fact that I dont trust Labor not to take us down to the level of the dole. they did not hesitate to not give the married pensioner any rise at all on the base pension now did they bear that in mind! that plus a high pwoer bill will mean we wont be able to pay our way as any compsensation on the power bill will not cover the rise - does not now today on the rises we have had does it - not down here in Tassie - we pay more to be connected than the pension concession and the cost of first 500 units is higher than the next lot meaning the poorer subsidize the better off as it gets cheaper a unit the more you use.

That is back to front on the mantra Greens and often Labor quote.

The more resources you use the more you should pay.

Called user pays.

Look at your bill and check to see if like ours!

should be cheaper on the first 500kwh and then go up for next step etc and up for next.

Will be voting Liberal, though not because my parents did...as they didn't.

I voted for the DLP back in the days of the split in the Labor Party. But as time has gone on, I've watched the modern day Labor Party slowly but surely being eaten up by every minority group that's popped up it's head, and become a Party totally alien to what their original ideals were.

Reminds me of an old horror movie called the blob. The blob consumed everything in it's path and grew fatter and more obscene at the expense of every other living thing.

;-)

And now, with Gillard as chief blob, there is a snowflake's chance in hell of me voting ALP.

Guess who her mentor was....Joan Kirner.

Kirner's claim to fame........ . . she, along with John Cain, Jnr, brought Victoria to it's knees.

Will be voting Liberal, though not because my parents did...as they didn't.

I voted for the DLP back in the days of the split in the Labor Party. But as time has gone on, I've watched the modern day Labor Party slowly but surely being eaten up by every minority group that's popped up it's head, and become a Party totally alien to what their original ideals were.

Reminds me of an old horror movie called the blob. The blob consumed everything in it's path and grew fatter and more obscene at the expense of every other living thing.

;-)

And now, with Gillard as chief blob, there is a snowflake's chance in hell of me voting ALP.

Guess who her mentor was....Joan Kirner.

Kirner's claim to fame........ . . she, along with John Cain, Jnr, brought Victoria to it's knees.

Wow how RUDE you are Koko sorry but is that really necessary?

I am not enamoured with Julia but for God's sake give her a go.

Why do some people find it necessary to resort to downright

nastiness and being rude whether it be towards people in the Labor or Liberal Party.

Get a life for goodness sake. At work we discuss the Parties but I have never heard one

person speaking in such a derogatory fashion to be honest about any leader

of any of the Parties.

Many years back when I had two mortages and desperately needed more money,

I could have worked part time but in every one dollar 50c. gets taken out.

So it is only half of what they say.

But things could have changed since,,

9 comments

To make a comment, please register or login

Preview your comment