TPG pays $360,000 price for spam breaches

TPG Internet has paid a $360,000 infringement notice following an Australian Communications and Media Authority investigation into breaches of the Spam Act 2003 (the Act).

The ACMA investigation followed complaints from consumers that they had unsubscribed from receiving commercial electronic messages from TPG Internet but continued to receive such messages.

The ACMA identified that TPG’s systems were not properly processing unsubscribe requests during April 2017. This meant that TPG contravened subsection 16(1) of the Act by sending SMS commercial electronic messages to consumers who had withdrawn their consent by unsubscribing.

"Consumers have a right to expect that their requests to unsubscribe from marketing messages will be respected," said ACMA Chair, Nerida O’Loughlin.

"This is a timely reminder to anyone who conducts email or SMS marketing to make sure the systems they have for maintaining their marketing lists are working well and comply with the Act," said Ms O’Loughlin.

Consent-based marketing practices are one of the ACMA’s current priority compliance areas for unsolicited communications. Commercial electronic messages must not be sent without the consent of the account holder. Consent can be express (for example, signing up to a mailing list), or inferred (such as through an existing business relationship). Consent can be withdrawn at any time.

The ACMA decided to issue an infringement notice to TPG Internet rather than commencing proceedings in the Federal Court as the company co-operated with the ACMA during the investigation, admitted the breach, and has taken steps to remedy the causes of the breaches.

If you receive a marketing email that you think may not comply with the Act, you can report it to the ACMA by forwarding the message to [email protected]. You can forward SMS spam to the Spam SMS service on 0429 999 888.

More information on spam can found on the ACMA website and on the ACMA’s priority compliance areas here.

3 comments

I get enough spam every day to feed the dog.

A number of  handsome Nigerian men want to marry me once I ‘ve sent them money and my bank details.  Do you think we could turn these ‘Nigerians/Russians/Ukranian blokes into Spam? My dog is only little and it would take a couple of years for her to get through a Spam-Man.

They must be the sons of the poor widow of the ex Government Minister who was murdered before he could get his multimillions out of the country and who now, at this very minute, would transfer said millions to my bank account if only I would hand over the details to her!

The ACMA must be so very proud to have court a genuine business, is that not telling us something? their powers are limited! I dont think if I recieved an email from an internet company, its all the other spam that gets to me.

The 20 or so spam emails I recieve every single day from around the world that I never signed up to, and regardless of constantly unsubscribing  that is if they have such a button they still keep coming however they are not genuine Business's or people behind the no-returnable emails.

I want the right to send the emails back  .....return to sender I say,  they should not be able to send out emails then block the address or whatever they do to stop you from returning it to sender. 

Great advice and further more I think spammers if caught should be imprisoned. Even those who spam on this site.

prison may help you get in touch of your latent personality

Speaking from your vast experience in that  facility???

3 comments

To make a comment, please register or login

Preview your comment