The weekend ahead in sport - 26/11/2015

Like many Australians, I live and breathe sports. The headline event this weekend is undoubtable the Golf being played from up in Sydney which has attracted the world number one Jordan Speith. I've had a look at the main events I feel are worth watching this weekend and have shared my thoughts below. 

Golf

The Austrlaian Open teed off this morning at The Australian Golf Club just a few kilometres outside the city centre of Sydney. With a purse of $1.25 million ($225,000 for first) on offer, Australia's best golfers and many others from around the world are in town to battle it out on the greens. Australian Former number one Adam Scott is the Aussie to beat, putting in a very solid practise round on Wednesday where he couldn't do anything wrong. The man to watch alll tournament long is the world number one golfer Jordan Speith who won is coming into this off a 4 stroke win in The Tour Championship. The final round of the tournament will tee off on Sunday, so you are in for a great weekend of play.

Football

The A-League this week has thrown up some fairly one-sided matches according to the bookies. Sydney FC host the Wellington Phoenix from 8pm Thursday evening with goals expected from both sides in the match with one team favouring a defensive structure and the other a full out attacking team, expect the counter-attack to be where the teams take their opportunities. The game of the round will most likely be played between the Newcastle Jets and the Brisbane Roar from 5.20pm on Saturday. The top of the table Roar are heavy favourites to knock of the Jets away from home, but I think the Jets can take it up to the Roar who looked very average last week drawing to Melbourne City.

In the English Premier League, the Sunday 11pm fixture between Tottenham and Chelsea looks to be the match of the round. A low scoring affair is predicted by the bookies, but these two teams always seem to produce games of the highest quality and I wouldn't be surprised to see a player walking away with a treble to his name. The other game that tickles my fancy is the 4.30am Sunday morning game between top of the table clash between Leicester (#1) and Manchester United (#2). There has been an average of 3.1 goals scored in the past six games Leicster has been involved in, twice Manchester United's games have been closer to the 2 goals per game mark. I'm expecting a high scoring game and for Leicster to take it up to Manchester United from the kick off.

Motorsport

The three-day Formula One event from Abu Dhabi begins Friday with the practice session. Qualifying will be held on the Saturday and the race will be held on the Sunday. Lewis Hamiltion is the favourite to win the race just ahead of Rosberg. Vettel is the only other driver fancied to get close to the pair with the fastest cars in the sport this season. Rosberg has won the last two races while Hamilton won the previous two races. Lewis Hamilton won this race last year.

Did i miss a sporting event you are looking forward to this weekend? Share it below and tell us what to expect!

7 comments

How to trim from full beard to perfect stubble with ...https://www.youtube.com › ...Video for beards out stubble in  Duration: 2:43Posted: Feb 4, 2014

On a golf tour in Ireland, Tiger Woods drives his BMW into a petrol station in a remote part of the Irish countryside. The pump attendant, obviously knows nothing about golf, greets him ina typical Irish manner completely unaware of who the golfing pro is. “Top of the mornin’ to yer, sir” says the attendant. Tiger nods a quick “hello” and bends forward to pick up the nozzle. As he does so, two tees fall out of his shirt pocket onto the ground. “What are those?, asks the attendant. “They’re called tees” replies Tiger. “Well, what on the god’s earth are dey for?” inquires the Irishman. “They’re for resting my balls on when I’m driving”, says Tiger. “Fookin Jaysus”, says the Irishman, “BMW thinks of everything!”

Peter is happy to see the teams start training (especially 'The Swans') means it is getting closer

to the AFL games in 2016

Image result for SwaNS FOOTY eMBLEM afl

Image result for SwaNS FOOTY eMBLEM afl

Cricket on in Adelaide this weekend.

Good pickup Sandi!

It will be interesting to see who comes into the team. Hazlewood was meant to be rested this game, but they may be forced to keep him in for this game. 

I am interested to see if James Pattinson has a chance and how he will perform. I was impressed with him as a bowler 2 or 3 years ago but injury has kept him out of the tests lately.

Will he get a go and is he ready ?

They are saying that Patto is the one expected to get a call up if they decide Hazlewood needs the rest. If they are serious about the future of the team and not just immediate results, it's the right move to give Patto game time

Not really interested either way Drew & Gerry,   just have rellies who are coming to watch and busy trying to arrange a time to meet and have tea somewhere one night.

Bad time to be having Test Cricket , too close to Christmas, after would have been better like it  was before.

James Pattinson came good against the Windies but I was interested in a comment on the ABC from Fazeer Mohammed saying Australian cricket supporters wish West Indies would play better.
"He said it with a smile, but a good part of the sentiment was genuine. Once Australians longed for the day they would see a win over the Caribbean side, at home or away. Now they longed for their former rival to be competitive."

I think most of us want to see the Aussies win but at the same time I would prefer a good, close game

NEARLY TIME FOR THE SAINTS,     

7 comments

To make a comment, please register or login

Preview your comment