The supermarket responsible for the best and worst laundry detergent
Consumer group CHOICE put 60 popular laundry detergents to the test with one supermarket responsible for both the best and the worst product on the market for front loaders.
In CHOICE's front loader test, Coles Ultra Concentrate Laundry Capsules tied for first place with Dynamo's Professional Discs with a CHOICE expert rating of 85 per cent. Per wash, the Coles capsules are half the price of Dynamo - 40 cents per wash for Coles vs 86 cents per wash for Dynamo.
Strangely, Coles also has one of the worst performing front loader detergents.
Coles Lemon Fresh Laundry Liquid Hot and Cold Wash scored just 52 per cent in the lab test - barely exceeding plain water at 51 per cent.
CHOICE tests detergents for both front loaders and top loaders separately as they perform very differently, according to expert Ashley Iredale.
"Front loading machines generally wash clothes better, which is why we see higher scores for the detergents used in front loaders," Mr Iredale said.
"Our testing revealed that Coles Ultra Concentrate Laundry Capsules and Dynamo Professional Discs are the most effective laundry detergent for front loaders, with a CHOICE Expert Rating of 85 per cent," says Mr Iredale.
Coming in third place, Aldi Trimat Advanced Concentrated Laundry Liquid was the cheapest product, costing just 13 cents per wash and scoring 83 per cent on CHOICE's test.
"If you're looking to save money in the long run, Aldi Trimat Advanced Concentrated Laundry Liquid is a win for hip pockets everywhere. Aldi's product came third in our tests, scoring 83 per cent, and costs just 13 cents per wash."
Best performers for front loaders:
- Coles Ultra Concentrate Laundry Capsules (85%)
- Dynamo Professional Discs capsules (85%)
- Dynamo Professional 7 Actions in 1 Wash Liquid (84%)
- Aldi Trimat Advanced Concentrated Laundry Liquid (83%)
- Omo Laundry Detergent Triple Capsules (83%)
- Dynamo Professional Free & Clear Liquid (82%)
- Dynamo Professional Our Best Stain Removal Oxi Plus Liquid (81%)
- Coles Ion Laundry Liquid Concentrate Original (81%)
- Coles Ion Laundry Liquid Concentrate Colours (81%)
- Dynamo Professional Deep Clean with Odour Eliminating Technology (80%)
Worst performers for front loaders:
- Coles Lemon Fresh Laundry Liquid Hot and Cold Wash (52%)
- Tru Earth Eco-Strips Laundry Detergent Fresh Linen (53%)
- Woolworths Essentials Clean Wash Apple Liquid (54%)
- Aldi Laundrite Laundry Liquid (54%)
- Bosistos Sensitive Laundry Liquid (57%)
In CHOICE's top loader tests, Coles won again with Coles Lemon Fresh Laundry Powder Hot and Cold Wash. It scores a CHOICE Expert rating of 61 per cent, it's also one of the best value products at just 15 cents per wash.
"Our tests have shown that top loader machines just don't wash as well as front loaders. This means that choosing a top-performing detergent is even more important for top loader devotees.
"Coles Lemon Fresh Laundry Powder Hot and Cold Wash was the best performer in our top loader tests, with a rating of 61 per cent. Coles' performance in our tests goes to show that you can get a great wash for a fraction of the cost of the leading brands."
The next highest scorers were Cold Power Clean and Fresh powder (59 per cent), Aldi Laundrite Laundry Powder(57 per cent) and Omo Laundry Detergent Ultimate (57 per cent).
CHOICE also found that you'll be paying more for big name brands, with Cold Power costing 63 cents per wash and Omo 71 cents per wash. Aldi's Laundrite Laundry Powder is the cheapest option at just 11 cents per wash.
Best performers for top loaders:
- Coles Lemon Fresh Laundry Powder Hot and Cold Wash (61%)
- Cold Power Clean and Fresh Powder (59%)
- Aldi Laundrite Laundry Powder (57%)
- Omo Laundry Detergent Ultimate (57%)
CHOICE's testing revealed a number of detergents which performed worse than 50 per cent, including some big name brands.
Tru Earth Eco-Strips rated a paltry 40 per cent in CHOICE's top loader test, while plain water scored 41 per cent. True Earth's website states the product delivers detergent in "a revolutionary new strip form".
"Don't fall for all the new marketing gimmicks. Our test showed Tru Earth Eco-Strips performed worse than plain water. There are great options out there for price and performance. Consider switching to another product if you're using this dud at home," said Mr Iredale.
Worst performers for top loaders:
- Tru Earth Eco-Strips Fresh Linen (40%)
- Euca Soft Wash Premium Laundry Detergent(42%)
- Omo Laundry Detergent Dual Capsules Sensitive (44%)
- Omo Laundry Detergent Dual Capsules (44%)
- Bosistos Sensitive Laundry Liquid (44%)
- Woolworths Essentials Laundry Liquid Clean Wash Apple Fragrance (44%)
- Aldi Laundrite Laundry Liquid (44%)
What laundry detergent do you use at home? How does your detergent of choice rate on the testing? Will you consider switching to a cheaper brand after seeing these results?