The Oxford Dictionary's 2015 word of the year is ...

... you're looking at it.

Yep, in what will no doubt be hailed as the last gasping breaths before the death of language, for the first time ever, this year's Oxford Dictionary Word of the Year is a pictograph – or emoji – if you want to sound all modern-like. 

The winning emoji is known as ‘Face with Tears of Joy’ and was chosen as the ‘word’ that most typified the ethos, mood, and preoccupations of 2015. It was, as you may have already surmised (bet there's no emoji for that word) the most used emoji around the world in 2015.

Now, I don't know whether to (Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes) or (Loudly Crying Face) when it comes to (Pile of Poo) on the English language. It makes me (Pouting Face) if I'm being honest. Sure emoji's have their (House) on the internet and with texting and blah blah blah, but putting them in the dictionary? Come on!! It's not called a pictographary. Dictionaries are meant to be filled with words damn it!! This, unfortunately, is where we're headed...

What do you think of this? Is this a sign of the times? Or should we fight for the life of language? (I am biased of course!)

3 comments

What utter rubbish - are there not sufficient words in this rich and beautiful language of ours worthy celebrating? Do we need to concoct new words from our evolving slang, technology and vernacular to find a "word of the year". From memory, I think last years was "selfie" - how very pedestrian of our so-called academics.

KFCHUGO YOU GOT IT RIGHT! WISH MORE PEOPLE IMPROVE THEIR COMMUNICATIN SKILLS, VOCABULARY AND PROPER INTER-ACTING: NOTHING LIKE SPEAKING ANY LANGUAGE WITH ACCURACY AND FLAIR (Some of us speak a few.....teaching some and still learning). Sante! 

I couldn't agree more. But, unfortunately, this is a continuing trend. Selfie, lol, rofl, now pictographs. I suppose language may have started this way? Language is either moving in a circle or regressing. I can't figure out which ... 

Leon

Is yor avatar a selfie?

If so what is the dogs name ?

Sure will slow down written writing by drawing emojis .... wonder if the emoji (wonder if the plural is emojis) will get included in the alphabet ???

Winston Churchil once said " make your sentences short. Don'y use big words unless you have to. Make sure that what you write can be fully understood by the person who you are sending it to. (Note he did not say "recipient" - which as we all know was a shorter, but fancier way of ending his sentence. A fat bloke but had many surprises- and most people took notice of him- especially the Germans. Well did all that hewlp you guys, who are relishing in the notes that I make, sometimes with annoyance, mostly with glee. They should pay me for this. Maybe that is a hint to this blog -newspaper owners. Oars is the name, fun is my game.

The poet Rumi once said "silence is the language of G-d, all else is poor translation.” 

Maybe he foresaw emojis?

3 comments

To make a comment, please register or login

Preview your comment