PM takes a $15,104 pay rise

From July 1, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese’s wage will jump to $564,364, a raise of $15,104. 

All federal MPs will also see their yearly income increase by $5810, increasing from $211,250 to $217,060 before expenses and allowances. 

This is the first pay for MPs and the PM since 2019. 

With wages for ordinary Australians stagnating, is it fair for politicans to receive pay rises at this time? 

12 comments

Those elected after 2004 are paid an extra 15.4 per cent on their salary in superannuation contributions, compared to the current standard rate of 10.5 per cent.

The Remuneration Tribunal said its decision was based on the current economic conditions and pointed out that MPs had not been given a pay rise for three years.

“The tribunal notes the resilience of the Australian economy and the stronger than expected recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic,” the statement said.

This increase also applies to Judges and Public Servant Bureaucrats.

Meanwhile....

Minimum wages will increase by at least $40 a week, with the hourly pay rate lifting from $20.33 to $21.38, the Fair Work Commission has ruled.

The commission handed down its decision in the annual wage review on Wednesday, granting a 5.2% increase to the national minimum wage and 4.6% for award minimums, amid a tight labour market and sky-rocketing inflation.

The decision sets the pay of at least 2.7 million Australians on the national minimum or awards and will come into effect from 1 July.

But the commission ruled the increase will be delayed to 1 October in the aviation, tourism and hospitality sectors due to “exceptional circumstances” including their slower recovery from the Covid recession.

From The Guardian

2.1 percent raise for those on the Age Pension, Disability Support Pension and Carer Pension in 2022, resulting in a $20.10 boost per fortnight for singles and $30.20 a fortnight for couples, bringing the total payments to $987.60 and $1,488.80 respectively.

The hourly wage rate that people received is higher than the married pension pension rate which the increase was fortnightly.

So  Albenese's  increase was larger than the total  pension for a married pensioner and the single rate almost double.

Thanks for making that much clearer. No wonder Oz is in financial trouble when all these worthless fools grab a huge slice of the pie. I have no idea how true it is, but I was told some time ago that there is 20 million paid out to current and all former Government deadheads.

Didn't Albanese in the 1990's, make the comment that people earning more than $100,000 were effectively stealing?

So, if you were making $100,000 over 20 years ago,  you should still be making $100,000 today?  Even though you could buy a decent house for $200K in the 90's.

Yes the usual political double-dealing, you get $20, the lowly intelligent public cheer, then reality bites, when the Politicians get $5000 to $20000. Nothing new, it doesn't make any difference which Political Party is in, they look after number one, feather their own nests at the expense of the taxpayer and to hell with the general public. You would think that they would have the intelligence and the common decency to increase their own wages 12 months or so down the track and not before their asses have hit their newly found seats. Anyhow, I find it an absolutely ridiculous system, the electoral commission/system should be totally overhauled and no longer allow idiots to vote for idiots, with little or no qualifications for any job, much less that of running a country. I suppose it could be worse, the Greens could be in power and then there would be no power, no jobs, no nothing, just more druggies, unemployed and protest marches, disrupting the hard-working people of Australia. So I suppose we're well off, Ha Ha. Jacka.

Good comments Jacka. I think the NWC is a complete con' against the working class. So the min wage goes up by $40 per week plus on costs, probably makes the cost to employers $45+ per week which is passed on to all of us, including those those who get the NWC increase. Most would be on an annual wage of between 30,000 and 200,000 pa, so their new $40 will go on top of their existing wage, and so attract a tax of, I believe, 30%, or $12, leaving $28 in the pocket. Yet average prices go up $45+. How is this fair? On top of this, (except for food, and certain other items) GST will be on most of the increases to prices. Maybe I am wrong in my calculations, but it is close to the mark. The Governments must be laughing all the way to the bank! 

The election promises by either side did not mention pensioners so there will be no broken promises by leaving pensioners to make do with the 5.1% inflation and an expected increase to 7% but at least the politicians will get a little something to go on with. We will be assured that the pay rise has been done by an independent tribunal and, unfortunately, politicians have no choice but to accept the "little bit' on offer. As regards those of us on fixed incomes, we can certainly expect prices to rise following the FWA decision to grant a 5.2% rise as employers will need to find that extra wage payment as well as 10% of it to pay the compulsory super. We don't come under any awards, we don't have a union to fight for us and, apparently, we have politicians who care little about us.

Not fair at all - they are being paid too much as it is, and expect those they are supposed to be

'serving' to manage on so much less.   Plus they get may other perks too.

Exactly Troubadour, as I explained to my other half, a Politician's wage is simply the tip of the iceberg, it's the perks and the wrought where the big money is. And I will reiterate, that it's ridiculous money paid to mostly unqualified people. Although I hate the term it's not fair, (something I would expect to hear in the school ground), unfortunately it is a fact, very similar to Oprah Winfrey's backside, it's just not fair. Have a good day, Jacka.

Australia is home to the world's richest public servants - with taxpayers funding salaries THREE TIMES larger than those in Britain and the U.S.

Australia's top bureaucrats get huge salaries thanks to Remuneration Tribunal.

Reserve Bank of Australia Governor Philip Lowe earns a salary of $1,059,751.

The top overall earner was Queensland Treasury Corporation chief executive Philip Noble, who received a total package of $1.25 million, including a $738,627 base salary and almost $450,000 as a “short-term incentive” bonus.

Well. we're certainly not all in this situation together. I seem to  remember hearing the present PM say, no one will be left behind!

Try telling that to a solo pensioner renting privately with, unfortunately little super.

I'm now paying well over the 30% recommended  rental threshold, so cutting back even more especially on food now

Anyway I'll keep on and fingers crossed for better  times to come in the Lucky Country. 

It will never change. The old saying is true. "The Rich get richer and the Poor get poorer". End of story. 

I always remember years ago my old Boss saying that it is not just the money you pick up at the end of the month but the fact you have to make your boss a profit during that time.  Which I agree with.  

We need to make big profits for the poor old boss so they can give pay rises.

I don't think the youth of today think in those terms at all I don't think it enters their head that some business don't make any profits unlike the big corporate sectors.

However, to answer the question at the heading NO!  Not at this time I think it is totally insensitive of them.

12 comments

To make a comment, please register or login

Preview your comment