Maternity Leave $500,000,000 p/a ?

I have just heard that there is every possibility that the suggested 14 week paid maternity leave has every chance of being approved, and more than likely government funded (tax payers). The government funding has been muted to ensure that small business is not put in the position of not wanting or being able to afford to employ child-bearing age females. It has been recommended that there be no means testing for this payment, the reasoning behind this being to ensure that women remain connected to the workforce.

I would like to see the payment means tested, an agreement to return to the workforce for a period of say 12 months. Non-eligibility for the payment if the period of employment with any one company is less than 10 months.

Apparently we and America are the only two countries, apart from third world countries, who don't have paid maternity leave . However I would like to know how many of the other countries have a government funded scheme.

This, by the way, is yet another topic under review, the decision to be announced February 2009.

What do you all think of the above or am I just being a grumpy old women?

12 comments

Is it that a job is more important than a child? Who is it that eventuallys pays? Is there not sufficient birth control? I feel that no-one, apart from the parents should have to pay for having a child - certainly not the taxpayer or the employer. After all, it is a choce. Surely now there is a choice, people should prepare and save, before they have a child - not expect the Government to subsidise their choice. Not for time off to "bond" and certainly not for child care!

Wowee! How fast was that? all done within the week from idea to passed today.

Poor Pensioners have to wait is it till February for it to even be "looked into"

That is really poor.......................

It has been said and extra $30 for a pensioner would be huge! but this is unbelievable.

in fact it is dreadful to think so many battlers are being treated so badly

Phyl.

This is unbelievable, only this morning it was stated that a response could be expected next February. You are so right Phyl, once again we are being ignored. This decision by the Government is an absolute disgrace, open to abuse and so detrimental to business, and in the long run, detrimental to women. Who will employ a woman of childbearing age with the probability that they will be taking 18 weeks off and a temp will need to be employed to do their job. What is this going to do to our economy. Will holiday leave accrue while they are on maternity leave? I would like to know wh the terms reference are for taking maternity leave. The husband/partner can also take two weeks maternity leave. When I had my children we planned for it so that we could afford for me not to be working and my husband took two weeks holiday to be with me when I came home from hospital.

They will apparently be paid the minimum wage of $550.00 per week or thereabouts. This makes our request for $50.00 a week look pretty paltry and bears no comparison to the minimum wage. It just goes to show what this government thinks of age pensioners.

I am disgusted and will be emailing all and sundry tomorrow, when I have researched this a little more.

[size=4]If this is passed, small business will go down the tube ...or take advantage by simply not hiring any young women, and do themselves a favour by hiring older more reliable people.

But then of course, the unions will be down on them like a ton of bricks , or they will be sued for discrimination.

size]

What amuses me..... or would if it wasn't so awful, is that rudd says this is all for the future, the families and babies of the future. So now the pensioners know their place in the scheme of things. Pensioners apparently don't have or need a future!

I agree if you want to have a child --then PLAN for it--don't expect others to pay--and also stay at home and look after it--don't put it into child care--this will like others have said make employers NOT employ women of child bearing age--and who can blame them. Children don't ask to be born and so should have the care of parents NOT others.

Call me cynical, but I can not help thinking that the media circus about Maternity Payments is a carefully planned move by the Gov.

It takes the spotlight off the plight of Pensioners.

These same Pensioners who managed to raise their kids WITHOUT thousands of dollars from the Gov.

I think the tired mums of the past deserve payment as they age. Dont you?

I agree that people should save to fund their families. Just do without a lot of other stuff.

Time will tell. I remember when I was in my early twenties and just married, whenever I went for a job interview, I was asked when I intended to start a family - this was back in the days when it was ok to ask. Of course I usually did not get the job even though I swore I had no intention of having children(and didn't). So I think that it will have an effect on the job market, although no-one will admit it.

As a single parent way back in the 60's, whenever I applied for a job and was asked "who will look after your children when they are ill", I used to lie through my back teeth and say that my mother lived with me. She didn't, - she was dead. Sometimes I got the job, but most often I didn't. It was often very difficult to manage a job and raising two kids, but I did it without Government help. What is so different about people these days? They certainly don't need any more than what we had, a roof over their heads, food in their bellies. It's just that they want even more - not need, just want.

I think if you choose to have a child then you should be there to look after it--I think it is child abuse to leave a young child in day care. The trouble is these days they want it all fancy cars--fancy house and the best furniture--etc--we made do with a house that was affordable--and a second hand car--if at all.

Also if those that get maternity leave--it leaves out those that do the right thing and stay at home and be a proper parent.

The only good thing I can think of concerning the Paid Maternity Leave is that The unmarried teenage mothers will get a job before qualifying for baby bonus.

But, even the "stay at home" MUM's will get $6500 - that covers the teenagers.

Do you realize that Paid Maternity leave will cost the government around $12,500 per woman?

And they have the blooming cheek to say that $30 a week for single pensioners only will break the bank.

>

I didnt vote Labor - wonder how many of us did though and if they will as Innes has said - take the $30 and run to vote them back in next time around. Silly sods if they do as they will only give it to us if we kick up hard and never give up.

Squeaky wheel - get those fingers flying on the emails and do not forget to send copies to [email protected]

[b]Anyone know any more emails for prominent TV programs or newpaper columnists?

Or anyone who will take up the cause - maybe aging Star of screen or music maybe[/b]

I agree with all views - this is a stupid idea and only will bring worse outcomes. Small business will not take on women of child bearing age at all - cant blame them. Older women and men are best employees anyway as dont do drugs, or go clubbing and have a good work ethic - good for us oldies may even get a job. My friend's sister who is 75 and in england works part time and recently changed her job - got offered any number as they value older workers.

It should be means tested as husband may well earn heaps and she works because she wants to not has to.

After all the Age Pension is means tested so if they say cant - we must ask why not if we are - discrimination is rife on age pensioners with paying marrieds $46.70 a week less but if we got together with another couple and got divorced and officially lived 2 girls in one house and 2 boys in other would get the full pensions. Makes nonsense of paying less and that is because it is bureaucratic bungling. Awards got the ever widening gap by percentage and same applies to the pension. Instead of saying rise will be $5 a week they do a percentage so the lesser one gets a smaller rise. Hence the gap.

12 comments

To make a comment, please register or login

Preview your comment