Major supermarket hits 100% renewable electricity target

ALDI supermarket today announced that it has reached the company's goal of becoming 100% reliant on renewable electricity, six months ahead of schedule.

This goal makes ALDI the only major supermarket in Australia to be powered by 100% renewable electricity. This vision was achieved by ALDI signing deals with two new wind farms in Victoria and New Sotuh Wales, taking advantage of abundant roof space at stores and warehouses with solar panels, signing Power Purchase Agreements, and acquiring market renewable energy certificates.

Will this committment from ALDI to a fully renewable electricity plan make you more likely to shop there?

5 comments

Definitely not likely to shop more at Aldi because of renewable energy plan.

Windfarms kill birds.

Radar at wind farms will increase bird deaths | South Shore Conservancy

Where does the money go that you spend at Aldi?   Also, where are the bar codes and place of growth

The profits that Aldi makes is none of our business, PlanB, just as the profits from any company is none of our business. What is of concern is whether Aldi pays its fair share of tax contribution and they pay Company Income Tax, Fringe Benefits Tax, Payroll Tax, Land Tax, Stamp Duty and the collection of GST and PAYG. They also employ Australians in their supermarkets and buy fresh food from Australian suppliers and those employees and suppliers spend their money in Australia.

Well I think it should be up to us the customers of Aussie to try and support Aussie stuff GROWN & OWNED and not O/S stuff

Wind turbines are a massive waste of money including the cost of maintenance with maximum use-by-date of only 20 years, at $3-4 million each, maintenance, $5,000.00 each trip, several as components fail.
1)- They never have and never will recoup the costs of manufacture and installation, then the stupidity is, from mining the ore with diesel-powered machinery, transport with diesel-powered trucks, trains, ships, then manufactured in factories using electricity from coal-fired generators, that is bull-sh--t about save the environment.
The same with battery-powered cars made by the same conditions as 1)- above, bull-sh---t, save the environment.
Solar panels are made from, transported with, manufactured using, all the above same as 1)-
Use the Internet and check the thousands of wind turbines being buried in the ground in America, less that 20 years used-by date, and the metal used to make them, no-one wants them, the scrap-yards are full with billions of household appliances, use-by-date finished, began life as Number 1) above.
In order to Save The Environment and watch the beginning of daily Climate Changes, every person on Earth would have to live in caves, no-one can have a fire for cooking, the smoke would cause a different climate change and create CO2, which people breathe out anyway.
P.S. Aldi products are made in different parts of the world, delivered with diesel-powered trucks, trains, and ships, freight delivery is also by transport, freight 'planes, their fuel began as oil in the ground, read Number 1)- above.

I tend to agree with you Spectre

I also, tend to agree with Spectre....by the way, renewables still need base load power to work...and also, when I had solar panels installed I wasn't aware that they were made in China with slave labour!!! disgraceful...also, I was told that the solar panels would be most effective between the hours of 9.00am and 3.00pm...what happens after that time if we are supposed to rely on renewables....nonsensical!!!!!

you can order any thing on aliexpress. only run the risk that the package may be lost by that time. In this case, I recommend using Universal Package Tracking  to track your package. very comfortably. have you used this already?

5 comments

To make a comment, please register or login

Preview your comment