Macquarie Dictionary announces its 2015 Word of the Year

dictionary page with the meaning of the word word

The Macquarie Dictionary has announced its 2015 word of the year as "captain's call", a phrase that, according to the WOY committee "perfectly encapsulates what happened in Australia over the past year", due to Mr Abbott's incessant use of it during his leadership.

Macquarie defined the phrase as "a decision made by a political or business leader without consultation with colleagues". Sound familiar?

According to Macquarie Dictionary editor Susan Butler, the phrase "started out as a political reference, but is being used more generally for any kind of decision that you take without reference to anyone else".

"I think it's used with a slightly ironic tinge, which makes it very Australian," said Ms Butler.

Other words that received honourable mentions were 'deso', which is short for designated driver, and "lumbersexual", which means "an urban male who wishes to associate himself by his appearance with a rugged outdoors way of life, as by wearing outdoor clothes such as check shirts, jeans and large boots, combined with a beard, as typical of a lumberjack".

What do you think of the 2015 word of the year? What about the honourable mentions? Do you have a favourite word?

3 comments

Only arrogant Self indulgent person would use that Phrase.

Look where he is now.

Legacy of a word/phrase in a dictionary ?

I remember when another Self Indulgent Victim used a similar term.

Ms Gillard used "Captains Pick" when appointing Nova Peris.

How come that was not picked as word of the year ?.

She only used it once, not over and over and over and over again.

I am stunned that such a self indulgent phrase is now in the Macquarie

3 comments

To make a comment, please register or login

Preview your comment