Loose screw in Coles bun wrecks $4000 smile

A young Queensland mother is in talks with Coles after she said she bit into a screw when she was munching on a bun she bought at the supermarket.

Skye-April Cullen from Hervey Bay posted pictures of the metal screw she claims was in the bread roll - and said she could have fed it to her baby.   

"I am bloody disgusted and have cut my mouth open," Ms Cullen wrote on social media. 

"I have a baby who is just starting to eat who could have just as easily ate this last night." 

She said she bought a six-pack of Coles branded bread rolls for her dinner on Tuesday and had eaten a few bites when she felt her tooth crack and tasted blood.   

The screw cracked a tooth and damaged her "4000 dollar smile", she claimed. 

Coles told news.com.au it had contacted the customer to follow up the complaint.

"As always we encourage customers to return any item they're not 100 per cent happy with to their nearest store for a full refund or replacement," the retailer said. 

Have you ever bitten into a foreign object inside food you were eating?

a close up of a persons face: A young mother claims she bit into a metal screw (pictured) while she was eating a Coles-brand bread bun 

12NextLast(page 1/2)
18 comments

It’s hard to know what to believe these days!

Many years ago I bought a sausage roll from a cake shop in Glebe. When I got home I decided to eat it as it was

still hot. On the second bite I felt something hard, when I looked it was a 1 inch rusty screw. I was totally disgusted

but never went back to the shop as I would have had to get 2 buses to get there.  Luckily it didn't break any teeth

This happened over 40 years ago before suing became popular.   

Hmm A screw holding a stainless steel panel??

Yes, stories like this are hard to believe sometimes. If it's a genuine case then Coles I trust will do the right thing. Also don't understand when people say "what if I did this" which isn't fact but a senario, well you didn't so lucky you.

A lot of people will also instantly be posting on social media which is, to me, the last thing to do as it blames & shames a retailer sometimes before they are aware of any issue.

Mmm, judging by the complainants' diatribe I'd say she was overdue for a good screw, although I seriously doubt her worth at $4k. One would hope the claim meets with the ladies expectations.

I would hate to think how many flies we've eaten over the years that have been baked into pies!

Back in the 50s and 60s we would never eat a pie without lifting the top crust to check if a fly had met a grewsome fate in there. And yes at times there would be one over those Louies tucked away baked to perfection!

Current buns you'd never know lol

I would like to  know how many of these finds are acutal . People like  to be noticed,

I brought some pots of salad from my local coles last christmas for a work function. When we went to open it there was a dead fly and a live one. It was still sealed in plastic when I opened it in front of my work mates and one noticed the fly that flew out. So we both went back to coles with the docket and the witness and they still tried to claim we opened it then closed it and the fly got in. Its only because i had the witness with me and it was within 10 minutes of purchase that they finally agreed to replace it. I asked for my money back though and went to the local deli and brought theirs.

Years ago I bought a custard slice from a local bakery and found a dead cockroach in the custard after I bit into it.

It was decades before I had another one. That incident totally wrecked the pleasure of eating a custard slice for me.  To this day, I still check for critters before I eat anything from a bakery.

I wonder how could a screw just come off the machine.. maybe it was poorly maintain or maybe something else 

Some 15 years ago i bought a cream bun in a  essendon cake shop.Three bites in a live maggot was looking at me.As i had travelled 50+ kms it was not practical to return and i had no idea of the, name of the shop so a phone call was not possible.So i phoned the local Council no one was availabl to take my call so the receptioniste took brief details and my phone number.As ihad no response i phoned 2 hours later sorry everyone in this dept had gone home.Left my number again,The next business day a monday i phoned again no one available.Never received a reply.BAH HUMBUG

Image result for loose screws animations

I have never actually found anything in my food, although I am sure I ate a many flies in my time. When 'on bivouac it was nearly impossible to get the food from your dixie into your mouth before the flies got to it. I also know my mother would never allow HP Sauce in  her house. In the 1920s, as a girl in England, she worked at the HP sauce factory , never told us why just would not allow it in her kitchen. I have inherited her predijices. 

I'm not sure its a good idea to feed a bun to a baby, with or without a screw.

I've worked for a number of food manufacturers over the years, both in the office and in sales, and been the person who on occasion handled these type of claims.  Bits of machinery in food are a relatively common claim.  While it's possible that it may have come off a machine it's far more likely that it's a disgruntled employee chucking something in the mix, like the needles in strawberries.

In the early days these type of complaints were always handled with 'the customer is always right' thinking.  Big companies used to apologise profusely, replace the product, and give the complainent a whole stack of other products as a bonus.  I could see the sense in that.  They might find something they hadn't tried before and come back to actually buy it, but as you can probably guess it also increased the number of complaints received when that person told all his or her friends about the little bonanza.

One house I visited to collect the offending product (and present her with her bonus pack of products) had a pantry stocked with an amazing array of pretty much every manufacturers' products, it was like a supermarket aisle, all lined up together. There were products on display I couldn't ever imagine her buying, like men's products and pet food. She lived alone and didn't appear to have a pet.  We reckoned she was either doing this all the time, thereby collecting products she didn't even need, or maybe she was eating the pet food - who knows. 

That particular company doesn't do that anymore, and I'm pretty sure they're no Robinson Crusoe.

Interesting, thanks Leonie.

12NextLast(page 1/2)
18 comments

To make a comment, please register or login

Preview your comment