Interesting stuff to share

The Beach boys in a recording studio in 1962

FirstPrev 109 110 111 112 113 NextLast(page 111/407)
5694 comments

Washington DC, US

Cultural heritage preservation scholar Katharyn Hanson (right) and DePaul University professor Patty Gerstenblith look at the Gilgamesh tablet at a repatriation ceremony at the Smithsonian Institution National Museum of the American Indian. The 3,500-year-old cuneiform clay tablet from ancient Mesopotamia had been smuggled into the US and is being returned to Iraq. It was forfeited by arts and crafts retailer Hobby Lobby after being seized by federal authorities. A Sumerian ram sculpture from approximately 3,000 BC is also officially being returned to Iraq in the ceremony

Photograph: Michael Reynolds/EPA

I hope it survives in Iraq.

A one-horned rhinoceros crosses a road inside Kaziranga national park, India, on World Rhino Day. Kaziranga is home to nearly 2,500 one-horned rhinos and is the world’s largest habitat for the rare animal.

Photograph: Anupam Nath/AP

Beautiful creature, lovely to read it's surviving inside the park.

Friday 24th September

Former United States secretary of state Hillary Clinton will be officially installed as Queen's University's first female chancellor at a ceremony to be held at the end of the first week of the new academic year

Mmmmm.

Reuters / Thursday, September 23, 2021

A registered nurse attempts to find a vein to administer the Regeneron monoclonal antibody to Cathy Hardin, who was vaccinated prior to testing positive for the coronavirus, at the Sarasota Memorial Urgent Care Center in Sarasota, Florida. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleto

Yesterday, the World Health Organization recommended Regeneron’s monoclonal antibody treatment for Covid-19.   The global body says the combination treatment can be used in COVID-19 patients who are at high risk of severe disease as well as in severe and critically ill COVID-19 patients who have not yet developed antibodies.

What about us?  I want some.

Not sure if this is the same one/type ...

TGA approves new COVID-19 treatment for use in Australia, 20 August 2021.

Australians with COVID-19 who are at risk of hospitalisation will now have access to an additional antibody treatment, as the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) announced today it has granted provisional approval for sotrovimab to be used in Australia.

https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/the-hon-greg-hunt-mp/media/tga-approves-new-covid-19-treatment-for-use-in-australia

Brian Laundrie posted this engagement photo of the pair with a message saying ‘til death do us part’. Picture: Instagram

As the FBI continues its manhunt for Brian Laundrie near his home in Florida, it is possible the experienced outdoorsman has an almost two-week headstart into the wilderness.  There is a suspicion as to where he has headed – the Appalachian Trail, or AT. It’s a renowned 35000 km trail between Georgia and Main in the eastern US……

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/the-3500kmlong-trail-where-brian-laundrie-may-be-hiding/news-story/f5bdb19c164f873c0f68df69ccd7919b

Mmmm ... strange case, wonder how much his parents helped him.

The amount of each drug that is enough to kill an adult human.

This amount of each drug that is enough to kill an adult human.  It shows the fatal doses of heroin, fentanyl, and carfentanil. Police in Canada created the visual to demonstrate the miniscule amount of carfentanil needed to kill a person

The drug Carfentanil is for elephants not humans

A highly potent opioid found in a recent drug seizure in Canada is designed for sedating large animals such as elephants and rhinos, not for use by humans, Chief Health Officer, Dr Paul Kelly, said today. The ACT Government’s Analytical Laboratory has discovered the potentially deadly drug Carfentanil the region for the first time, raising a red flag for medical and law enforcement personnel. “Fentanyl and its various analogues (including Carfentanil) are highly potent synthetic opioids which, similar to morphine and heroin, have abuse potential,” Dr Kelly said.

Why oh why would anyone try to peddle this drug.

The Kidney Project

A new device is offering hope for those requiring dialysis. Currently being developed by The Kidney Project, this bioartificial kidney implant could free patients from dialysis machines and even kidney transplants.

https://youtu.be/gtsHDY5S21A

Sounds really promising, hope it comes to fruition for the many suffering from kidney disease. 

The 80 year old David Boies is the American lawyer who has Prince Andrew in his sights.

His humiliating cross-examination of Bill Gates almost led to the dissolution of Microsoft; a few years later, a pioneering case he fought and won in California helped pave the way for marriage equality in America. In the commercial world, he became known as a lawyer who could save your company: nine times he has secured settlements of more than $1 billion.

Source:  The Times

Interesting.

A pair of glossy black-cockatoos on Kangaroo Island. Photograph: Michael Barth

Beautiful, thanks Toot.

I love black cockatoos, hence my avatar.

Sometimes hear them near my place, one I  was lucky enough to snap a while back now.

Giza, Egypt
People riding camels through the pyramid complex, a Unesco world heritage site. The UN World Tourism Day 2021 is observed on 27 September and this year will focus on tourism for inclusive growth

Photograph: Khaled Elfiqi/EPA

Thanks toot

Brings back memories of our journey in 1956

Looking back at our journey from the Suez Canal to Giza, it seems to be almost as old as the Pyramids of Giza :)

Lucky you Suze

LOL that brings back memories of June 1966 when I was in line for a Camel ride and the lady in front of me was bitten, so I left it and went over the the Pyramid.  LOL.  From what I see Cairo has changed so much and it has been allowed to be built so close to the Pyramids.

If you look at the Pyramids in the photo the blocks look tiny, but each one is as tall as me and back then I was 5.9".   I wonder how on earth they moved them like they did.

I'm so envious  Suze and Celia... would love to see the pyramids in person.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Jesus Taborda and Sabrina Amuchastegui compete in the final round of the Tango World Championship stage category

Photograph: Natacha Pisarenko/AP

The tango is such a wonderful dance.

Lyon, France
Italian team members celebrate with gusto after winning first prize in the pastry competition of the Bocuse d’Or, a biennial world chef championship. The Japanese and French runners-up look on

Photograph: AFP/Getty Images

Would love to taste those entries. 

Siberia, Russia
A pack of Siberian wolves is captured by a camera trap in a nature reserve

Photograph: Russia President Press Office/President Press Office/Tass

Wonderful photo and great to see, thanks Toot.

Castel Meur house on the Pointe du Château

Castel Meur, also known as La Maison du Gouffre or “the house between the rocks”, is a charming cottage wedged between two huge jagged rocks that has been drawing tourists to the otherwise quiet little village of Plougrescant, located in the department of Côtes-d'Armor in the region of Brittany, in France, since the 19th century.

The house has her back turned towards the sea, against which her owner sought to protect her by building the house in a cradle between the two rocks to shield her from the violent storms that frequent this place. The tiny house was built in 1861, at a time when building permits did not exist, where anyone could build at will. After the death of her original owner, Castel Meur served as the second home to the descendant's family who lived here sporadically. The current occupant, the granddaughter of the first master of the house, has lived here since 2004 after selling her business in America and returning back to her land.  2014

How amazing ... so picturesque, thanks Toot.

How clever is that, building the house in between the rocks for protection from sea storms - possibly if it were not situated like that it may no longer be there. It must be a wonderful place to live.

Inside

Castel Meur – Plougrescant, France - Atlas Obscura

House between Rocks - Coastal Decor Ideas Interior Design DIY Shopping   A map, so we know where to go in case we ever get out of the lockdown and win Lotto

FirstPrev 109 110 111 112 113 NextLast(page 111/407)
5694 comments

To make a comment, please register or login

Preview your comment