Fair or fail? Have your say on Federal Budget 2020

Like it or hate it, the Federal Budget has been delivered. Here's the footage of the Treasurer's speech, in case you missed it.

And here's the government's 'propaganda' video.

What do you think of the Budget? Are you happy with it? Is the government taking us in the right direction? What are the big hits – and misses? Why not tell us what you think about the Budget, who it helps and who it ignores?

12NextLast(page 1/2)
15 comments

I read that 10591 elderly  Died whilst still waiting on home care packages. Why are we Not able to get more home care packages.

They had to choose between tax cuts or funding social services.

Must say I have to agree with 80 plus.  The well paid will mostly save the tax cut whereas the low paid will spend thus far more helping the economy

I am one that is STILL awaiting home care and have been for 15 months now and a dear friend of mine died last week -- waited 18months and still had not got any care at all-- it is a bloody disgrace and Morrison is full of promises that NEVER come to anything.

This lot are full of it and promise every thing and it NEVER happens!

In these difficult times, I believe The Budget is spot on. Getting jobs back is very important.

Suddha, just how does taking money from the poor and giving it to the rich get jobs back?

some heroic assumptions on those job forecasts, the rich won't spend the tax cuts on more services, small businesses struggling to make payroll are not going to invest and employ in absence of increased demand,  meanwhile the capital intensive industries and shareholders are chuckling all the way to the bank

Not everyone will be pleased...however...all things considered, I think it's a pretty fair budget. Having said that, I am disappointed social housing was not one of the winners.

Homeless people do not sit well with me.

At a glance the winners and losers....

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-06/coronavirus-federal-budget-2020-winners-and-losers/12684802?nw=0

I too think it is a fair budget

.... but as far as the homeless why would the states budget for that as NSW is doing ?

This may be a bit of topic and may have been asked before.  But can somone please tell me where all the money is being borrowed from.  What country has enough money to lend out, or just where is it comming from   Thanks.

I could be wrong but I thought it was Modern Money Theory (MMT).  Is that not based on printing more money instead of borrowing ??

This is a good start....

https://www.aofm.gov.au/about

It's simple: The Reserve Bank gets an IOU from the government (govt. bond) and transfers the cash to the government to spend.  Once upon a time the government owned the Commonwealth bank and they were the ones issuing money as a CREDIT and not as DEBT to be repaid with interest.  The money or cash is just a computer entry - it's all a bit of a fraud.  

It's called Quantitive easing, if used correctly it is a means of funding this sort of crisis. The downside is that if not managed correctly Inflation is a real probability.

Typical result, as I expected from this filthy corrupt Liberal/National Coalition government. Head shots all round please.

And the winner is   THE BIG END OF TOWN.

Why is it that people are complaining about older people not getting jobs or help, we should be concentrating on getting young people into the work force not sitting on their backsides collecting money for nothing. Of cause Labor have BOOED it, not that they would have done better they proved that when they had ALL the money that the Liberals had in the bank at their finger tips when the GFC hit, but they blew that and went soooooo far down the rabbit hole of DEBT we are still trying to climb out of it. The Newstart does not need to be more it is not meant to be enough to LIVE off it is just some money to get you to the next job, my god the dole bludgers have had a ball over these months with all this extra money and they are still complaining it should be more, we should have a system like  the USA if you have never worked you get vouchers. I am just grateful the the Liberals were in this time round and there is light at the end of the tunnel. Remember you can please some people some of the time, BUT you can't please all of the people all of the time. 

Well put Everyday girl

I only agree with extra help for the young ones to get into a job - IF there is assistance and proper help for those over 60, over 50 - well, now, over 40 - in the alternative. You watch, the next we will hear is the government complaining about too many people - mainly seniors over 40 - being on the paltry Newstart. Only last year they were bemoaning that too many seniors saw Newstart as a 'pre Aged Pension'!

Whilst the system accomodates the political lobby industry and accepts political donations the pensioners and disadvantaged can never expect a fair suck of the sav.

The only choice we have is the ballot box and the majority complain about our leaders then go and re-elect them.

Political donations should be a criminal offence with a mandatory jail term.

I see that though our government sponsored  homes for us elderly have been the epicentre of this sars covid 19 virus  plague, we are to receive very little in this budget. We well remember the chortling of a liberal senator when handing out the licenses for our beds to a friend of his who stated he had no intention of providing any service but rather sell those licenses which he estimated to be worth some $400,000 each.

Neil. 

Fair budget, some will complain that certain areas were not helped enough, some will complain that tax cuts have gone to the wrong end of town, at the end of the day most have got something, I think one area could and should have benefited from the downturn in the economy, and that would have been in public housing, I am a firm believer that governments should be building houses for older Australians that have fallen through the cracks for a variety of reasons, the building of the houses would create jobs, and older people would pay rent at an affordable rate and not be subject to the ridiculous rise in rents that happens every time there is a small increase in the pension, I would not benefit from this as I am partly self funded own my own home and have sufficient funds. There could also be a return to social houses similar to the housing commission houses that used to be available to low income people, I think this was run by the State governments. There also used to be loans available through terminating building society's, generally these loans were supplied by banks and guaranteed by the government, and usually the interest and the deposit needed were lower than normally needed by other financial institution. Sometimes the way we used to do things had there advantages.

This lot does a lot of talking but in fact, very little comes to fruition-- and most have NO clue unless it is them that are missing out -- talk is cheap and this Morrison lot are doing a hell off a lot of talking --promising -- and doing crooked things and where are they paying for all this and the likes of the sports rorts, etc!

That i agree with planb, Most people and i did say MOST only care about what is afecting them. and yes most budgets are all talk.

This is as good as we could possibly hope for in this one-off difficult climate. Some people will always want more (we got next to nothing as self-funded retirees other than a few dollars future tax saving) but overall I think it's pretty generous. Only complaint might be a wish for more home-based care packages....but we can't have everything

Yes deepred, as they say, you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time!

it should be that there is jobs availiable that any person capiable should have to go and do that job ....when the depression was on my old man was sent to work building a dam he was paid 2 shilling and bourd no ifs or buts

12NextLast(page 1/2)
15 comments

To make a comment, please register or login

Preview your comment