Congratulations Samantha Stosur winning the U.S. Open 2011

What a game. You are fantastic Sam.

Was so good getting up early and terrific the match was telecast.

5 comments

This is wonderful encouragement for young Aussie tennis hopefulls of the future ,Well done Sam.

Congrats to Sam on a great win ,isn't she great I hope it is the first of many 

Well done Sam, and congratulations on your sportsmanship - a true Aussie.

Good for you Phyl and others for appluading Sam Stosur.  It really disappoints me that many Australians fail to understand how great an accomplishment that is.  It is a difficult feat.

Swimming has always won the limelight and probably because it was easier to plonk the caneras in one spot for days. Then there is the %^&%* cricket, I suppose.

I remember way back when greats like Heather McKay dominated a sport, but little was heard of her.  I don't believe that the women were forgotten because they were women although that could have been some influence. It was and remains, attributable to the bias by the media towards certain sports and what suited big business eg horse racing.

To take an example, few people would believe that Australia of all countries has only ever won 5 gold medals in Olympic shooting and Suzanne Balough recently won one of them (Olympic gold medal) at Athens. 

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/calling-the-shots/2007/11/10/1194329563133.html

Nautilus we love watching anything with Aussies competing

and wait with great excitement for the Commonwealth and Olympic Games

and Tennis and everything else we know is on.

Of course we also love Aussie Rules Footy.

Oh AND The Cricket lol.

ARL? Excellent and I am sorry it was the only football Code I did't play.

Cricket?  Are you certain those are not all re-runs?

The only thing worse than cricket as a spectator sport (and that takes some doing) is men's soccer.  Here is one of the main reasons,

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/750117/soccer_players_faking_injury/

Then there is the incessant spitting on the field and gay stacks. Urggh.

No-one tries any of that on in women's soccer, where the referee turns a cold shoulder to faking and is likely to send the offender off for being unsportslike.  Women's soccer is skilled, good to watch and should be screened more often.

It is a pity that so many of our athletes who excel are not recognised and feted as they should be.

Of the women, you only really hear of Cathy Freeman, over and over and over again.

5 comments

To make a comment, please register or login

Preview your comment