Australian into grand slam final for first time since 2005

Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios has reached the Wimbledon final in controversial fashion after current world number four ranked player Rafael Nadal withdrew from his semi-final with Kyrgios with an abdominal tear, Fox Sports is reporting.

The divisive Kyrgios is the first Australian male to reach the Wimbledon final since Mark Philippousis in 2003 and the first to reach any grand slam final since Lleyton Hewitt in 2005.

The fiery player has already been in trouble this Wimbledon tournament, getting into a heated argument with officials in his third-round clash with Greek star Stefanos Tsitsipas.

Will you be supporting Kyrgios in the Wimbledon final? Or does his personality just turn you off too much?

4 comments

I'll be supporting Kyrgios because he's an Australian sportsperson trying to win the most prestigious tennis tournament in the world. As regards the Tsitsipas incident, Kyrgios was questioning the umpire as to why action wasn't taken when a ball was hit into the spectators when precedents have shown immediate disqualification. To those who disagree with Kyrgios, don't watch Wimbledon, don't listen to the radio and don't read the press. I'm sure your opinion won't matter to Kyrgios.

I totally agree. The minority of haters have nothing better to do. They won't accept he is a good tennis player. You're right Tsitsipas should have been disqualified. Just look at the way he treated his father during a match until his mother stepped in. 

1877 – The inaugural Wimbledon Championships begins.

The Championships, Wimbledon, commonly known simply as Wimbledon, is the oldest tennis tournament in the world and is widely regarded as the most prestigious. It has been held at the All England Club in Wimbledon, London, since 1877 and is played on outdoor grass courts.

The inaugural Wimbledon Championship was a men's tennis tournament held at the All England Croquet and Lawn Tennis Club in Wimbledon, London from 9–19 July 1877. It was the world's first official lawn tennis tournament, and was later recognised as the first Grand Slam tournament or "Major".

Contemporary engraving of the first Wimbledon Championship at Worple Road, London, in July 1877. Note the higher net, 5 ft.

Spencer Gore was the winner of the inaugural Wimbledon Championship.

Wimbledon is now one of the four Grand Slam tennis tournaments, the others being the Australian Open, the French Open and the US Open. Since the Australian Open shifted to hardcourt in 1988, Wimbledon is the only major still played on grass. Five major events are held each year, with additional junior and invitational competitions also taking place.

Wimbledon traditions include a strict dress code for competitors and Royal patronage. The tournament is also notable for the absence of sponsor advertising around the courts.

More.

All my best to Nick Kyrgios for 2022.

Totally on his side 

Pity Nadal had to withdraw, hoping he would beat this Australian brat

Disgraceful hope you don't call yourself Aussie!!!!!

I agree Tood

Would like to see the report cards of some of these haters. I'll bet they would make Ned Kelly blush lol.

Good luck Nick you show 'em!

Haha, with hindsight we all had model children Lucca! Not a great tennis fan myself, however, I wish our Australian much luck at Wimbledon.

4 comments

To make a comment, please register or login

Preview your comment