Animal Antics

Random acts of kindness. Kindness is a quality that shows you… | by Waleed  Tariq | Medium

Ancient black swans hunted to extinction, NZ's swans from ...

FirstPrev 111 112 113 114 115 NextLast(page 113/141)
1961 comments

Outback tragedy as sports shooters 'accidentally slaughter hundreds of thousands dollars' worth of prized horses on a remote cattle station, leaving owners 'heartbroken and devastated'

Thirty prized horses worth half-a-million dollars at Killarney Station in the Northern Territory were 'accidentally slaughtered' by two members of a shooters club.

'The horses were not shot in a humane or professional manner as one would expect from members of a shooters' association,' he told NT News.

'The loss of these horses has had a massive impact on staff, management and (the) principles of Killarney station.

'Initially (there was) shock and disbelief, then grief, anger, heartbreak and devastation.'

Mr Laurisson said the police are investigating the shooting and will decide whether it is 'deemed a criminal act.

Killarney Station confirmed police were investigating the shooting and have hired a legal team to seek compensation for their devastated staff   +3  

Killarney Station confirmed police were investigating the shooting and have hired a legal team to seek compensation for their devastated staff 

The cattle station will also seek compensation for years of hard work with breeding and training the horses. 

'At Killarney our horses are what define us, they are our mates, members of our team, they are what make getting up before daylight every morning all worth it. Nothing is ever going to repair the heart break we are all feeling,' an post shared by the Station on Instagram read. 

A legal team has also been hired to launch a civil suit on behalf of staff seeking compensation for their loss.

........................................................................................................

That is heart breaking stupidity, are we becoming American?

How can anyone go onto a person property and shoot ?

Conflicting reports about permission from what I've read ...

Daily Mail — The two sports shooters entered the property without permission and went on a shooting spree.

ABC — Alex Laurisson from Killarney Station said the two people who allegedly killed the horses had been allowed to shoot feral animals on the property.

News Ltd — There is dispute over whether permission was granted to shoot in the area from Killarney’s managers or directors.

Whatever the truth the whole debacle is just awful IMO.

Something is not right that is for sure.

I agree Celia, something is fishy about this shooting. I wonder if it was someone who had a vendatta against this family or something. Hope they find out the truth of what happened, poor horses.

Cadaver dogs 'pick up scent of human remains' near lake house of Carole Baskin's missing husband Don Lewis as his family sue the Tiger King star for information on his 1997 disappearance Dogs 'pick up scent of human remains' near lake house of Carole Baskin's missing husband

Cadaver dogs appear to have picked up the scent of human remains near a Florida lake house belonging to Carole Baskin's missing husband, Don Lewis.   Lewis - who started an animal sanctuary which later became Big Cat Rescue Corp - vanished a day before a scheduled trip to Costa Rica back in 1997.  Despite the fact he was legally declared dead back in 2002, his disappearance garnered global interest earlier this year following Baskin's star appearance in the Netflix documentary, Tiger King.

The whole "Tiger King" saga gives me the creeps and makes me wish private zoo ownership could be banned worldwide.

Such weirdos and so much animal exploitation involved at times.

I started to watch that programme about a year ago and after two episodes I had to leave it alone.

What is frightening is how many private zoos [if thats what we can call them] are in the USA, so many big Cats have been housed in private properties. The more I hear about that country the less I like it.

Not keen on Zoo's, keeping animals locked up for humans to look at, while the animal does not have a normal life, especially when they breed them to sell off to other zoo's. Wish there was more regulation.

Yes USA has heaps of Australian animals kept in captivity too.

And sadly many of these private zoo's will not be making enough money to look after their animals.

Pinched this from "Interesting stuff" about the rare brown kookaburra so we can look at it again.

LOL  Must admit I have not seen a brown kookaburra before!  They are Kingfishers aren't they?

Thanks for sending.

Black Kookaburra. Black Kookaburra | Uccelli

Kingfishers then, whoops, sorry Kookaburra's, did not know they came in brown and black either.

Freshwater Dolphins by Dive Compare

Amazon River Dolphin | The Parody Wiki | Fandom

Meet the Man Saving the Amazon's Endangered Pink River Dolphins

Hong Kong risks losing its pink dolphin

Pink dolphins playing in the waters off Lantau in Hong Kong, in a photo by the Hong Kong Dolphin Conservation Society Pink dolphins playing in the waters off Lantau in Hong Kong, in a photo provided by the Hong Kong Dolphin Conservation Society. Conservationists warned Monday that Hong Kong may lose its rare Chinese white dolphins, also known as pink dolphins for their unique colour, unless it takes urgent action against pollution and other threats.

Conservationists warned Monday that Hong Kong may lose its rare Chinese white dolphins, also known as pink dolphins for their unique colour, unless it takes urgent action against pollution and other threats.

Their numbers in Hong Kong waters have fallen from an estimated 158 in 2003 to just 78 in 2011, with a further decline expected when figures for 2012 are released next month, said the Hong Kong Dolphin Conservation Society.

"It is up to the government and every Hong Kong citizen to stand up for dolphins. We risk losing them unless we all take action," said society chairman Samuel Hung.

Two weeks ago a tour guide from Hong Kong Dolphinwatch spotted a group of pink dolphins helping a grieving mother support the body of her dead calf above the water in an attempt to revive it.

The scene, captured on video and widely shared on Facebook, has raised fresh concerns about the dwindling population in a city where dolphin watching is a tourist attraction.

"We're 99 percent certain the calf died from toxins in the mother's milk, accumulated from polluted seawater," said Hong Kong Dolphinwatch spokeswoman Janet Walker, who added it was the third such incident reported in April alone.

Fewer than 2,500 of the mammals survive in the Pearl River Delta, the body of water between Macau and Hong Kong, with the majority found in Chinese waters and the rest in Hong Kong.

Experts say their number has dropped significantly in the past few years due to overfishing, an increase in , habitat loss and coastal development.

Hung said proposals to build a third runway on reclaimed land at the Hong Kong international airport would place further strain on the dolphins' habitat.

Campaigning against such developments and lobbying boat companies to divert traffic away from dolphin-inhabited areas are some of the ways people can support the mammals, he said.

The Chinese white , a population of the Indo-Pacific humpback dolphin species, are listed as "near-threatened" by the International Union for Conservation of Nature.

The pink dolphin was the official mascot at the handover ceremony when the former British colony was returned to Chinese rule in 1997

Enjoyed the river dolphins photos and info, thanks Celia.

Celia - I have trouble picking the difference between the Dolphin and a Porpoise, could you put

up pictures of both please. 

To answer your query Hola enjoy!

The video is excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55_-B3qQl1Q

Difference Between Dolphins and Porpoise | Dolphin vs Porpoise Comparison -  YouTube

A porpoise-full lesson on cetacean identification - Geospatial Ecology of  Marine Megafauna Laboratory

Celia - Thanks for putting up that information, I enjoyed watching the film about them. Now I know.

My pleasure Hola glad you enjoyed it.  I sent it to friends around the globe also, I thought it was a wonderful little video.

The river dolphins are so different not as sleek and smooth.

Saw some photos of Valais Blacknose sheep on Facebook. They are a breed native to Switzerland.

:) I think they look very cute.

Oh I love them!  if I was young I would want some of my own!  LOL

Thanks so much RnR to share I have not seen them before.

These sheep are just adorable, never seen them before, thanks for sharing.

Thanks RnR for sharing. They are lovely, the first time I have ever heard of them.

Leader of the pack! Woman with 13 dogs including 10 Irish Wolfhounds says her pampered pooches are 'spoiled to bits' with their own living room and £200-a-week diet Couple spend £200 a week on their TEN 'spoilt to bits' Irish Wolfhounds who have their own

Claire, 44 and Jason Mather, 47, from Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, are the proud owners of ten Irish Wolfhounds (nine pictured), whom they 'spoil' with their own lounge and £200 in treatments and snacks. The couple 

Five of the ten wolfhounds enjoying their meal in the family's courtyard. The dogs have their own kitchen and bathroom    

Five of the ten wolfhounds enjoying their meal in the family's courtyard. The dogs have their own kitchen and bathroom 

Must have a few bucks to spare then.

Doting dog owner turns an old timber crate into a stunning tiny 'mansion' for her pets - complete with lights, potted flowers and a patio

Pet owner recycles an old timber crate into a stunning miniature home for her dogs

A pet owner has gone above and beyond to build the ultimate dream home for her dogs - complete with festoon lights, water tank, solar lamps and a grassy patio.

The Australian woman transformed an old timber crate into a miniature property for her 'fur babies' after she used budget items from Bunnings.

She recycled the crate by painting it with navy blue and white stripes, attached a steel roofing on top and decorated the exterior with stunning potted flowers.

A pet owner has gone above and beyond to build the ultimate dream home for her dogs   +5  

A pet owner has gone above and beyond to build the ultimate dream home for her dogs

The Australian woman transformed an old timber crate into a miniature property   +5  

The Australian woman transformed an old timber crate into a miniature property

The woman said the old crate was given to her from a friend but mentioned she had seen similar versions sold on online marketplaces

The woman said the old crate was given to her from a friend but mentioned she had seen similar versions sold on online marketplaces

'Thought we would transform an old timber crate into this gorgeous doggie house for our fur babies, complete with planter boxes and festoon lighting,' she wrote in a Facebook group. 

'We used temp fence panels and one enclosure gate panel to make the enclosure, we sprayed them with black spray paint.'

The woman said the old crate was given to her from a friend but mentioned she had seen similar versions sold on online marketplaces.

She purchased the solar garden lights from $2 each, light up flowers, potted plants and fence panels from Bunnings.

The pet owner explained that the roof is attached to the crate so she can't 'lift up for cleaning' but there's another way she can access the space.

'[The roof] is fixed. However it's big enough to get inside if you needed too,' she said.

The stunning dog home features festoon lights, water tank, solar lamps and a grassy patio

The stunning dog home features festoon lights, water tank, solar lamps and a grassy patio She recycled the crate by painting it with navy blue and white stripes, attached a steel roofing on top and decorated the exterior with stunning potted flowers    

She recycled the crate by painting it with navy blue and white stripes, attached a steel roofing on top and decorated the exterior with stunning potted flowers

She spray painted fence panels from Bunnings black so she could use as the enclosure    

She spray painted fence panels from Bunnings black so she could use as the enclosure

Her post has since been 'liked' more than 800 times, with dozens of peop

'How cool is this and they have their own vertical garden. Amazing,' one woman said.

Another pet owner said: 'Super loved and spoilt. Amazing job. I'd pay for this at my place, while one added: 'Oh that's fab very creative... lucky dogs.'

Many insisted the woman's dogs are 'very lucky' while others described the home as the 'best thing I've seen in ages'.

And one woman joked: 'Amazing! If I were smaller, I'd live in there.'

:) Very fancy.

All show to my thinking;  the poor dog would be cold in there.

FirstPrev 111 112 113 114 115 NextLast(page 113/141)
1961 comments

To make a comment, please register or login

Preview your comment