Animal Antics

Random acts of kindness. Kindness is a quality that shows you… | by Waleed  Tariq | Medium

Ancient black swans hunted to extinction, NZ's swans from ...

FirstPrev 106 107 108 109 110 NextLast(page 108/141)
1961 comments

New Zealand kaka - Wikipedia

TAKAHE Bird

New Zealand Native Animals - Go4Travel Blog

Kea New Zealand on Twitter:

Magnificient birds.

Animal welfare in New Zealand - Wikipedia

West Coast pasture hit by dry spell | RNZ News

Stunning blue.

Thanks Celia for all the wonderful wildlife from NZ.

When we visited New Zealand we were really struck by the lack of wildlife on both islands. Nothing like Australia where we hear bird song every morning and see plenty of insects and lizards around. So quiet there and mainly bumble bees.

Lots of seals though.

Yes I agree RnR.  It was a bit of a shock I expected more too.

Rare pink dolphins return to Hong Kong after Covid-19 halted ferry travel

The Indo-Pacific dolphins- also known as Chinese white dolphins and pink dolphins - are moving back into parts of the Pearl River Delta they once avoided due to the ferry traffic.

Good to hear.

LOL

The video is below here.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8738301/Get-moo-ve-Hilarious-moment-calf-tries-vain-horse-pals.html#v-8068669032492190233

This cow soon realized it was lacking in horse power when it tried to keep up with the rest of its 'herd' in Arkansas.

Hilarious footage recently shared online shows three horses galloping across a pasture in Mountain View. 

Close behind them is a donkey, which seems to have no trouble matching the pace 

The four animals continue to run through the grass and almost out of shot before the cow, named Annabelle, finally lumbers into view - trailing by several seconds.

The three horses gallop across a pasture in Mountain View, Arkansas 

The three horses gallop across a pasture in Mountain View, Arkansas 

A donkey follows in close pursuit and the four animals continue to run towards the hedge 

A donkey follows in close pursuit and the four animals continue to run towards the hedge

It is several seconds before the cow, named Annabelle, finally lumbers into view 

It is several seconds before the cow, named Annabelle, finally lumbers into view 

The bovine struggles to catch up as her companions speed off out of shot, several seconds ahead of her. 

The animal's owner clearly found the scene, originally filmed in March 2017, entertaining.

They recently posted it with the caption: 'My bottle calf Annabelle trying to keep up with her herd.'

Bottle calves are, as their name suggests, calves who have been raised by hand. 

This often occurs after their mothers - usually first-calf heifers or older cows - fail to provide enough milk. 

Poor cow getting left behind.

:) I used to ride my cow to catch the horse LOL.

Brave you RnR!

I remember having to run across the pattock to avoid a bull on the way to the school bus as a 7 year old out of Manjimup.  LOL

Did you play the video?

We used to ride our pet sheep after we bottle fed him as a lamb.

Harriet sticking her tongue out at Australia Zoo where she died in 2006 at the estimated age of 175.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harriet_(tortoise)

I am reading the book by Robin Stewart "Darwins Tortoise".

Amazing story, thanks Incognito.

I saw them in South Africa way back in 1969!  I was amazed how long they live for.

Living history, imagine if we knew what they were thinking.

Meet Mandurah's Brutus, the buffest kangaroo in town

Aaron KirbyMandurah Coastal TimesSeptember 14, 2020 10:24AMTOPICSMandurah Coastal TimesSouth Coast

He’s got pecs of steel and a taste for roses: meet Brutus, the buffest roo in town.

Erskine resident David Macdonald managed to capture a portrait of the nearly 2m-tall beast he says has lived nearby for at least five years.

“We only see him once a month or so if we’re lucky,” he said.

“But I have caught him at night time eating my wife’s roses that we’ve got out the front.”

David Macdonald photographed this friendly kangaroo affectionately known as Brutus on August 31 along Beverston Terrace, Erskine..David Macdonald photographed this friendly kangaroo affectionately known as Brutus on August 31 along Beverston Terrace, Erskine.. Credit: David Macdonald/Supplied/Supplied

Mr Macdonald remains in awe of the kangaroo’s physique.

“He’s just so muscular, and that’s why I call him Brutus.”

The hungry roo also spends some of his days grazing on the lawn at the local park.

“I’ve walked up to within 15 metres of him, and he just looks at you and carries on eating and then just slowly hops away,” Mr Macdonald said.

“He just stands out ... all the other kangaroos look small compared to him.”

The photo of Brutus comes nearly two years since the death of the iconic Roger, then considered Australia’s buffest kangaroo.

Roger died at a Northern Territory kangaroo sanctuary in December 2018 at the age of 12.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roger the ripped kangaroo dies of natural causes in NT sanctuaryTom MarlowPerthNowDecember 10, 2018 11:05AMTOPICSAnimalsAustralia

Australia’s favourite ripped kangaroo, Roger, has died at a Northern Territory kangaroo sanctuary at the age of 12.

Australia's beloved kangaroo, Roger, passed away from natural causes at the age of 12.Australia's beloved kangaroo, Roger, passed away from natural causes at the age of 12. Credit: The Kangaroo Sanctuary Alice Springs

Roger sprang to fame in 2015 when a photograph of him crushing a metal bucket between his paws went viral.

Since then, Roger’s impressive physique and playful personality has become the basis for many a meme.

In a video uploaded to The Kangaroo Sanctuary Alice Springs’ Facebook page, Roger was remembered as a much loved animal.

“Roger was our alpha male for many years and he grew up to be a kangaroo that people from all over the world have grown to love as much as we love him too,” owner Chris Barns said.

"Ten years ago I built this sanctuary to house Roger and a couple of his wives ...I built it so they'd have a place to live.”

He was picked up as a small, orphaned joey from the side of the road in 2006.

Roger stood at just over 2m and he weighed in at 89 kilograms. He died of natural causes.

He has been buried at the sanctuary, where he lived for 10 years.

Two very big boys, just lucky they don't get angry with humans that often.

Rare Turtles Known For Their Permanent Smiles Saved From Extinction in MyanmarBy Judy Cole -  

With faces straight out of Dr. Seuss, the cheeky beaks of Burmese roofed turtle hatchlings are characterized by what’s been described as a nonstop grin. These days, the turtles have plenty of reasons to be cheerful.

Tulika Agrawal

Not long ago, however, the existence of species, native to Myanmar’s Irrawaddy river region, was in serious doubt.

Over-hunting for food, medicinal use, and the pet trade, as well as reckless egg harvesting, improper electro-fishing techniques, and destruction of natural turtle habitat had all but wiped the once-flourishing reptiles from the face of the planet.

In fact, by the 1990s, the species was thought to be extinct. It wasn’t until 2001, when a likely smuggled specimen turned up in a Hong Kong pet shop, that conservationists began to hope at least some small portion of their population had survived.

Heartened by the news, biologist Gerald Kuchling, who’s now with the University of Western Australia, along with the Myanmar Forest Department launched a joint survey expedition of the upper Chindwin River, a site Burmese roofed turtles were once known to inhabit.

RELATED: In Just 2 Years, They’ve Rediscovered 4 Amazing Animals on Their ‘25 Lost Species’ List’

Sadly, the project was sidelined by a summer monsoon.

On one of his days off, Dr. Kuchling happened to visit a turtle pond at a Buddhist temple in Mandalay. To his infinite surprise, he found three of the elusive critters smiling up at him from the murky water. “I was very excited and definitely flabbergasted,” he said.

With the blessing of the temple board, Dr. Kuchling and his Burmese colleagues moved one male and two female turtles to the Mandalay Zoo.

Later, while exploring the Dokhtawady, a tributary of the Irrawaddy, Dr. Kuchling discovered even more specimens which were also transported to the zoo. This was in the nick of time too, as a damnable damming project destroyed their habitat soon after.

While there were thought to be less than 10 Burmese roofed turtles—five or six adult females and perhaps two adult males—living in the wild, not all of them made the trip.

CHECK OUT: Super Rare Wolverines Haven’t Been Seen For a Century in Mt. Rainier—Now They’re Back in a Family Way

When fishermen on the upper Chindwin River reported a handful of females still nested there during the dry season, Dr. Kuchling, along with the Forest Department and the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS), organized and implemented a conservation stewardship program for the site.

Each year since, the beach has been fenced off by seasonally hired villagers who then track nesting females and carefully harvest their eggs. “We came so close to losing them,” WCS herpetologist Steven G. Platt, told The New York Times. “If we didn’t intervene when we did, this turtle would have just been gone.”

Thanks to subsequent WCS efforts and the Turtle Survival Alliance, approximately 1,000 of the turtles have been successfully raised in captivity and are soon to be released into the wild. The WCS reports the species faces “little danger of biological extinction” at this point.

MORE: With No Male Northern White Rhinos Left, 10 Viable Eggs Offer Hope For the Species Through Embryo Transfer

On hearing rumors of his alleged demise, humorist Mark Twain famously quipped, “The report of my death was an exaggeration.” No doubt his public was tickled at the time, but we think bringing these cheerful turtles back from the brink of extinction will give everyone a reason to smile—including the turtles.

What a touching story Incognito, who they should be called lucky!  I hope they are looked after by the zoo's staff and breed now.   Thanks for sharing that news, it brought tears to my eyes.

Tears came to my eyes for the story below but not for happiness, people that are cruel should have the same treatment that they dish out to the animals they hurt.

Yes it is so lovely to know there are people in the world who care so much about keeping species alive.

I do sincerely hope whoever did this to this animal has the same treatment done to them asap.

Three-month-old puppy blinded and covered by glue is abandoned on the street by 'abusive' owner

Heart-breaking pictures show the poor animal's entire body layered with a white mixture of glue when it was rescued on Tuesday. It also suffered multiple bone fractures. The puppy is in stable condition.

Horrific, so shocking what some people are capable of doing to a helpless creature, we certainly need stronger punishments for these horrible people, who could go on to hurt so many more animals and possibly humans too, they need mental health too.

When I first saw this I thought it was a toy!

The adorable purple, googly-eyed stubby squid | Underwater creatures, Sea  creatures, Ocean creatures

The adorable purple, googly-eyed stubby squidIt looks like a spongy toy, but this adorable underwater creature was found at 3,000 feet deep off the coast of Southern California.

What a beauty, an unbelievealbe colour, he does look like a painted toy.

FirstPrev 106 107 108 109 110 NextLast(page 108/141)
1961 comments

To make a comment, please register or login

Preview your comment