2017 World Masters Games, Auckland, New Zealand.

With more athletes than the Olympics, the World Masters Games is the single biggest multi-sport event on earth. Now in 2017, the event will come to Auckland New Zealand, a must-see destination renowned for its stunning natural diversity and vibrant social scene. As is often said, it’s not just the scenery New Zealand is famous for, it’s the people. And sport is part of New Zealanders DNA.

The World Masters Games is for everyone – whether you play to stay fit, to have fun or quite simply to win. In 2017, 25,000 athletes will converge on Auckland for the event of a lifetime. So now’s the time to pick your sport and get training. The World Masters Games 2017 is coming to New Zealand and we hope to see you there.

www.worldmastersgames2017.co.nz

12NextLast(page 1/2)
18 comments

Pewitt

Thanks for bringing this Multi - Sport Event to our attention

I'll be sailing in the WMG in my New Zealand designed Weta Trimaran which has been described as "a skiff with training wheels".

It's fun, fast and easy to sail, own and use. You can take it out with up to 3 adults or you can sail and race on your own. It's very stable and forgiving of mistakes but gives skiff like performance without the need to be super fit or risk swimming all the time. And you can store it in the space of a Laser.

More information at www.wetamarine.com.au

Weta Australia Facebook Group - www.facebook.com/ausweta

Weta sailing at Jervis Bay Regatta

Would think this post is against the forum rules unless he has permission.

Cannot see why I think some of our members will find it of interest seeing it is in the vein of their recreation.

Hope you do well Pewitt

There are a number of sailors on the Forum.

Off hand there is Micha, PM. and Innnes that enjoy sailing currently

There are some x sailors too.

Sailing is one of 28 sports on offer at the WMG and there's no qualification to take part - apart from being the minimum age which varies according to the sport.

Sorry if my post contravenes the rules but I should point out that I have no commercial interest in either the WMG or Weta Marine - I just enjoy sailig my Weta and I want to encourage other Aiussie sailors (or ex-sailors) to go to the regatta which also includes the Laser single-handed class.

Paul
Sydney

Ello Sailor   ,I Love sailors . 

Love that idea of a single handed class   , 

Thanks for this Paul, I think Sandi may be right that Admin could regard it as an advert so why not send an email to 

[email protected]   Marked attention Drew pointing out it is an interest not an advert.

feel a big family holiday in NZ might be a great idea at that time - if any Accomadation left.

16 year old grandson has just this week-end bought really almost given in fact a 15 foot 6 foot wide wooden yacht in very good condition with carrier already registered that he has been solo sailing since 13 as the owner who trained him is retiring to Tasmania and wanted her to go to someone who loved her as much as he himself does. He is incredibly lucky, yacht won out over a car.

I've just come back from a first holiday in NZ - loved it.
Your grandson's parents might appreciate this pic

I must say you look too young to be in "masters" games. How old are you Pewit?

Well you only have to be 25 for the ocean swimming at the WMG and for most of the other sports its 30 or 35.

See http://www.worldmastersgames2017.co.nz/sports/

I qualify for Grand Master in the sailing regatta.

How can they call 25 and 30/35 masters? That is ridiculous. They are YOUNG people!

Look at the Olympian achievers.

Like you Robi I assumed anyone posting an event on a site for over 50s would be about something specific to that age group upwards. Obviously wrong assumption.

Just recalled  that my oldest son (43) when he turned 40 competing in a triathlon which he had done for years was shocked to find he was classified as a "Veteran" at 40. 

Paul

Thanks for the lovely pix ..brightened a rainy day for me.

Just looked at the classifications

Masters are broken into four age divisions: Apprentice (35-44 years old), Master (45-54 years old), Grand Master (55-64 years old) and Great Grand Master (65+).

So you must be .. if you qualify for a Grand Master in the sailing regatta.

Good to see you keeping yourself well and healthy :)

In many sports the drop-off rate above school/university age is huge so it's probably worth encouraging as many people as possible to take part. Some sports (like gymnastics) are seen to be only for young people.

And you compete against your peers in your age category - rather than against the youngsters.

Good of you to drop in again Paul

Our sailors still have not shown up.

We also got a couple of Martial Arts guys but they are not around either.

Hello Abby

What sport do you partake of?

And by the way, there is no picture against your name. Strange.

My friends and I play badminton in my backyard - in the nude of course :)

Denzel

I am looking for sailors and Martial arts people so if you know of any send them to this page.

Myself I like indoor sports

Be careful of one called Dinks/Fleur ... she will have you in sackcloth and ashes on your head ... always complaining about me showing off my naked body.

Yes I have no avater as that way I can be naked and do not have to have all the burden of clothes.

Hello Abby

No not into martial arts or sailing

I dont follow your Dinks/Fleur comment or the ashes and sackcloth comment.

Glad you are a feloow nature lover like me.

Nothing better than to feel the breeeze caress your naked body or the warm grass against your bare skin.

Hi Pewit....great post to remind people there is a great life of sport out there. So many older people are now engaged in sports some carry on from things they've done in the past and others are trying new things. 

Several members of my family are keen sailors and divers. I'm a very strong swimmer but won't be competing in any competitions. I did however give some hours of my time as a volunteer at the Sydney Olympics. Had a fantastic time. 

Have you been sailing long? A friend of ours who has just returned to the forum.. his name is PM is a retired boat builder from the UK. Have you been sailing long and what do you sail?

Hi Denzel...you ask what sport Abby partakes of..well she is a keen runner...she runs a marthon around the forum from thread to thread causing heaps of trouble. She has no picture against her name because as soon as anyone sees it's her... they run like hell.

She loves indoor sports I grant her that...she's tried tirelessly to entice the poor old rabbit you see also trying to hop around the forum. Sometimes the poor thing just can't make it ..but you have to give him credit...he tries.

The reason we all complain about her showing off her naked body is because one look and you recoil in horror! Strange woman she always talks to herself...this week she thinks she's Denzel...do you know she's using your name??

Hello Fleur

I am new here and happy to take people as they are.

But like in the GreyPath forum, seems like some of you like being nasty to each other.

That is your perogative, but please do not include me in your petty nonsense.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Hi Denzel...jump on board the good ship lollipop. You have a nice day too!!

Hi Fleur

I've been sailing since I was a kid in the UK - originally at Rock in Cornwall where my family has been holidaying since the 1960s - but also around Kent where I was bought up and then mostly on the Solent when I moved to London,

I started in Dinghies (mainly Lasers) but switched to keelboats and then sportsboats in my 30s.

Since moving to Sydney in 2007, I've been sailing with other people on Sydney Harbour which we overlook from our apartment - but there are some days when I needed to sail and so 2 years ago, I purchased a Weta Trimaran (see wetamarine.com) which I keep "moored on the road" on a trailer.

I launch it from a floating pontton nearby accessed by a 2M wide gantry (the Weta is 1.98M wide on the trolley!) - so while launching and retriving may be a bit difficult (beach launching is much easier and takes 25 mins) the boat is only 5 mins from home - I also tow it around the country to meet up with other Weta owners and sail in nice places.

Hi Pewit...now isn't this a small world!  I was born in Tonbridge Wells...we did move a couple of times and finally ending up in Hampstead. Moved to Australia about 40 years ago...

Interesting reading about your sailing days around Cornwall...very familiar places for us too. My first husband a very keen sailor and my brother in law met at University and have been sailing together  until he died 5 years ago. My present husband loves sailing and is still wearing his P plates!!

You would have liked chatting to Micha...my BIL..Unfortunately he's left the forum couldn't stand the rubbish that occurs here. He's very much involved in a new business and these days is happily engrossed in that pursuit. It's a big deal at 69 and we're all rooting for him.

Talk to you another time.

12NextLast(page 1/2)
18 comments

To make a comment, please register or login

Preview your comment