2015 Archibald Prize Finalists

The finalists for the 2015 Archibald Prize have been announced. Debbie has written a good wrap on it in the enews this morning.

I'm not so sure I like the winner of the Packing Room Prize, but I do like these ones:

Which is your favourite portrait?

4 comments

I like the Richard Bell one followed by Michael Caton. I like the fine detail in both of them.

I always thought that the portrait had to be of someone notable.  

There are even self-portraits here.

I've been to a number of those exhibitions ... but not the sort of pix one would like on their wall :(

Must have a bit of a peasant taste as I usually prefer the Packing Room pick to what the pros pick.

Packing Room Prize 2015

Bruno Jean Grasswill TitleMichael Caton

Why stand there hour after hour painting when a photo takes 250 th of a second.

Abby, I like the Michael Caton one also.  The one of John Jarret looks just like him, a real sourpuss.

Can't say I would hang any of them in my house.

I guess the pros go on different things to what the ordinary person looks for.

I go by what I like, not on the brush strokes and the expertise and technical stuff.

Davey

The portrait does take a lot of time and The Packing Room Prize of $1,500 is very small for the time taken... I do love the finish of the flecked with multi-colour appearance , intense lines and the deep shadows. The hair looks so real ..almost as if one could comb it ... there is no way that a photo can achieve the three dimensional appearance you can get fro an oil painting.

One also can say how much time does a model plane take to build ?

Forgot to add the Archibald Prize  first prize is worth $75,000

Davey have you ever tried canvas/portrait painting, for every artist well known their is countless unknown, the pleasure comes from transferring the 'picture' that is in your mind into a portrait. Every man/women to their own.

No the 1st prize is $100.000 I know the bloke who won 1st this year

IMO

They should leave the packers chooose the first prize

and sack the Gallery Art Directorand all those who were paid to judge it

Makes one think the Gallery funds need trimming if they waste money like this.

Interestingly neither the artist or the subject would like this portrait hanging in their home ..... that says a lot.

I cert woodent want dat piccie hangin on my wall - yukkedee

Since Milsom is in jail, wonder if he still gets the cash?? 

He is not in jail now

If that is what they teach people in jail perhaps they should cut some of the Taxpayer funding there too .... definitely sack the person who is getting paid to teach them

Write a letter of complaint to the Gallery as well as your Premier.

http://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/about-us/contact-the-gallery/

4 comments

To make a comment, please register or login

Preview your comment