And the best festive fruit mince pies are ...

It's that time of the year when CHOICE reviews the fruit mince pies and tarts from major brands to find out which ones to feast on this Christmas.

"We blind taste tested 26 fruit mince pie and tart products that are available in major supermarkets and leading bakeries," said CHOICE food expert Rachel Clemons.

"There are so many flavourful options this year. There were some interesting ones such as 'blood orange and fig', 'spiced orange and cranberry' or our top scorer 'sloe gin'."

Aldi's Specially Selected Sloe Gin Fruit Mince Tarts took first place with a CHOICE expert rating of 83 per cent.

"Aldi's Sloe Gin Fruit Mince Tarts were the tastiest pick by our judges with a CHOICE Expert Score of 83 per cent. It stood out for our judges with its light, crisp, buttery melt-in-mouth pastry and premium feel," says Ms Clemons.

"Our judges looked at a range of criteria such as visual appeal, aroma, and flavour. To our surprise, the top 6 all come from major supermarkets.

"Another product that stood out for us was Coles Gluten Free Fruit Mince Pies which scored 77% in our test. That's higher than most other pies. If you're coeliac or have an intolerance to gluten, you really don't have to miss out on these tasty Christmas treats."

The cheapest fruit mince pies are from Aldi, Coles and Woolworths.

"The cheapest pies in our test were only $0.25 per pie and all scored over 70% in our test. Woolworths Gold Gin Infused Pear & Riberry Fruit mince Tarts were the most expensive at $1.50 per pie. That’s six times the price of the cheapest options, but it's among the top rating," says Ms Clemons.

CHOICE's review of fruit mince pies can be found here: choice.com.au/fruitmincepies

Which is your favourite mince pies or Christmas tart? Or do you make your own? Why not share your special recipe with our members?

3 comments

As long as they are NOT imported --

I'm not a lover of fruit mince pies but I do love a home made Christmas Fruit Cake. My Mother made the best and always soaked the fruit in Rum for a week before cooking, the house smelt wonderful.

Nice one cooking recipe!

3 comments

To make a comment, please register or login

Preview your comment